Tuesday, March 25, 2014

When do you cancel a workout? Part 2

Feeling tired and lousy for most of the day yesterday, I went to bed at a reasonable hour with my alarm set early so I could hit the bike before work if I was feeling better.

Wouldn't you know, I woke up just before my alarm feeling better in the head, but with a scratchy throat and stuffy sinuses. Ugh -- I can't win.

I laid in bed for a while, negotiating with myself. Should I take two mornings off in a row if it means I feel better in the long run? But I feel well-rested, it's just my throat that is scratchy. But I don't want to overdo it and get sicker. But I might feel better if I move around a bit.

Back and forth went the argument in my head. I finally decided to get up and do a slightly easier roller ride to try to save some energy for hopefully fighting off whatever this is.

I did my usual hour and 15, but kept it out of high gear. It did feel good to work up a bit of a sweat. And I've made it through the work day (so far) without feeling exhausted from my efforts. I'm calling it a win.

I think I made the right decision both today and yesterday. Feeling exhausted and loopy and end up sleeping for an additional two hours? Right decision. Get up anyway but take it easy and end up feeling fine? Right decision.

I want to become a better athlete, but I also need to take care of myself. I think I'm striking a good balance so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment