Thursday, March 6, 2014

Two-a-days

Getting in at least three workouts of each discipline per week means nine workouts a week, and that doesn't even count workouts like weights and yoga. It can get hard to fit all of those sessions into seven days.

Morning workouts are easier for me -- as long as I can get to bed early enough, there are fewer things to go wrong beforehand -- but I try to get in a few evening workouts during the week as well. If I can wrap up work on the early side (by 6 p.m. or so) I'll hit the trail by my office on the way home, or hop on the treadmill later. I've been doing well with a strength training video on Wednesday evenings. Other evenings I try to do some of my pre-hab exercises.

It's not easy by any means. On the nights I run on the trail by my office, I have to bring a bag of running stuff with me -- shoes, clothes, a snack. On the nights I head home first, I often talk myself out of it on the way home. But I have to make dinner! But I should get to bed early! But I can run tomorrow! There are nights I don't eat dinner until 8:30 p.m., and then I have to go to bed immediately afterward so I can get up early the next day to do it again.

This week has been good for two-a-days. Monday I had an issue pop up in the evening, but Tuesday, Wednesday and today I got in a run, a strength video, and another run. Not bad! Ideally, I'd like to be working out every weekday at both 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., but three times a week isn't too shabby, either.

I just hope that all this time training brings about some decent improvement. Three times a week in each discipline is what I can reasonably fit into my schedule, and I'd like to think I'm making the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment