Wednesday, April 30, 2014

It's a PR kind of day

I'm not much of a swimmer, having come into it late in life. As a result, I celebrate every victory. My victory today was taking a full 13 seconds off my 300 meter PR.

I'm not going to post my time, because it's still slow by triathlon and swimming standards. Still, when I hit the wall and saw a time on my watch that I have never seen before, my brain was full of very excited expletives.

What's funny is that most days I have a great day or some kind of breakthrough swimming, I had actually thought about not even going to the pool. Today was no exception -- I laid in bed for a few minutes thinking, "I could just skip today and go back to sleep." But I wanted to end April strong, so I eventually got my butt out of bed.

Because the pool had been full Monday, I was in a rush to get there before the lifeguard unlocked the doors. I hadn't even thought of what my workout was going to be. In the end I decided to keep it simple and try for descending 300s. For some reason, everything just came together today. And on the last one -- a PR. A big one. Boom.

I've been on cloud nine all day. Plus, this is a big boost to my confidence before triathlon season officially starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment