Monday, May 11, 2015

Week in review May 4-10: That's what I'm talking about

Good numbers across the board.
Not a perfect week -- does anyone really have any of those? -- but still pretty darn good. Three times in the water including once in the lake, a decent bike ride, a decent brick run, and even some "other" thrown in there.

The runs were hot but still runnable, the lake water was cold but still swimmable, and the weights were heavier than I remember. (Aren't they always after a few weeks off?) The mugginess and my allergies slowed me down a bit but overall I'm happy with how it shook out.

Swim: Three times, twice in the pool and once in the lake for my first open-water swim of the season, for a total of about 8,600 yards in about 3 hours, 11 minutes.

Bike: Three times, twice on the trainer and one 35-mile ride on the road, for a total of about 4 hours, 10 minutes.

Run: Five times, once on the treadmill and four times on the road, for 31 miles in just less than 5 hours. That works out to two easy runs, one MSD, one LSD, and my first brick run of the year.

I ran fewer mileage in more runs this week as compared to last week's 33.25 miles in four runs; I added a 2-mile brick run and skipped my Friday evening speed session (which have been going about 7 miles). My allergies got the best of me that day and I took some medication, so by the end of the day I was an exhausted, crabby, congested mess that could barely get home to take a nap before meeting friends for dinner.

Also, yesterday was probably the muggiest day we've had this season so far. I swung by the house to get my crazy lab mix with about 3 miles to go on my run, but I should have done another 1 or so before I picked her up because she was struggling by the end. So, an even 12 it was.

Other: Not a bad week for this, either. One weights video for 55 minutes, plyo moves afterward for about 20 minutes, and 45 minutes of self-guided yoga while watching Game of Thrones.

Total: 14 sessions in about 14 hours, 15 minutes.

For this coming week, I really need to get back into a four-times-a-week bike schedule. I would love to work in another road ride during the week, but I'm scratching my head as to where I can squeeze it in without 1. affecting my other workouts or 2. getting home too late to prep dinner and my next day's meals.

I would swap a morning trainer ride with an afternoon run, but then I'd have to run at 5 a.m. when it's dark and muggy. I could take my bike to work and then hit the state park or trail afterward, but I'd have to cut out a run or work it into a brick and get home at 9 p.m. I actually could try to ride Mondays after work when it's my scheduled day of rest from running, but today is not going to be that day:

It might rain today.
I'm going to have to think about that one.

In other news, I liked doing two pool swims and one lake swim this week. I'll always want to refine my swim, but I feel it's in a good place right now, and my time and effort could be better spent on the bike or run.

And this week marked my FIFTH 30+ running miles week! Yay! I am feeling good about my effort and paces. My running base is much, much stronger this time around and it shows.

Also, it's less than two weeks until my first race of the season. How did that happen? The next two weeks will be about consistency and refinement, so (hopefully) I can throw down a good time on race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment