Monday, May 18, 2015

Week in review May 11-17: Unintentional deload

The volume just wasn't there this week.
I haven't written much this week because there hasn't been much to write about. This week was a prime example of life getting in the way of my training. But, we all need a deload week once in a while, so I am hoping it will be beneficial in the long run.

I was feeling good about getting in a Monday evening bike trainer ride, since I've been skipping that about half the time. I made it through all my scheduled workouts until Thursday morning. That evening, I had a commitment, which turned into "as long as we're out and about let's take care of this other errand." That ended up going later than expected, and combined with my dog needing to, ahem, urgently go outside very early Friday morning, led to a skipped workout in favor of an extra hour of sleep.

Saturday was also filled with commitments all morning and evening, so I decided to just take time for myself in the afternoon rather than try to cram something into the few free hours I had. It worked out OK, and I got a bunch of tasks and errands done, but I still felt guilty about missing my workouts. Ugh.

Swim: Twice in the pool and once in the lake, my second open-water swim this season, for a total of about 8500 yards in about 3 hours, 15 minutes. My lake swim was less distance per my Garmin compared to last week, so I guess that means I went a little straighter this time.

Bike: Two trainer rides and one nice outdoor ride of 35 miles, for a total of 4 hours, 10 minutes. I held an average of faster than 16 mph again on my road ride, which is a big deal for me. I'm getting there, bit by bit.

Run: I ended up missing both an easy run Thursday for my commitment -- which I was OK with, considering -- but also my long run this weekend. Saturday ended up being a rest day, and I thought I'd get more bang for my buck getting in the lake swimming and road riding on Sunday, what I usually do on Saturday, and just skipping my long run.

My speed run Friday evening was... interesting. It was hot and muggy and I planned to do quarter-mile repeats. But my math was off and I ended up not doing my last one, instead ending with a 1.25-mile cool down. BUT, I wasn't feeling great anyway because of the humidity, so maybe that was the wiser course of action anyway.

The week shook out to one easy run, a medium-distance run, a speed run and a quick brick, for a total of 22 miles in about 3 hours, 20 minutes.

Other: 50 minutes of self-guided yoga stretching while watching Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley.

Total: 11 sessions in just longer than 11.5 hours.

Eh -- I'm not going to stress too much about it. 11.5 hours is still a decent week, and it's still early in the season. The workouts I did do felt good and I feel like I'm making progress.

I've got my first race of the season, an Olympic-distance triathlon, on Saturday. I'm already nervous about cold lake water and my sub-par bike skills. I had to remind myself this morning, "You know, you do this for fun." It will be a challenge but hopefully it will also be a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment