Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Getting goosed

It was a beautiful day Sunday, so I pounced on the chance to do a 12-mile run on a nearby nature trail.

I've come across many different types of critters on this trail -- I've been chased off by a skunk, had the bejesus scared out of me by a muskrat, and even see deer from time to time. 'Tis the season for geese making their nests ... and guarding their nests.

I saw one pretty close to the trail, and slowed down so I could veer to the side away from it. It didn't seem happy about that, so I started talking to it. "I'm not going to hurt you. It's OK," I said.

He responded to this by spreading his wings, hissing at me, and CHARGING me!

Of course I screamed very loudly and started running in the opposite direction. Also of course, there was a bunch of traffic at that second, so I'm sure they all got a good laugh at my expense.

The goose only chased me for a few seconds, thank goodness, and my heart rate eventually came down from the surprise fartlek. Luckily, I didn't have to run back that way to get to my car.

Watch out for nesting waterfowl on your runs!

No comments:

Post a Comment