Wednesday, April 29, 2015

A triathlete first for me: Hitting the gym just to shower

Outdoor run but no place to shower.
Yesterday was a long day, mostly because I swam first thing and then had to work in the evening. I don't mind working the occasional evening because it breaks up the week, and you usually get to come in later the next day or leave an hour early on Friday.

After my daily work was done I got the thumbs up from my boss to leave a bit early and go run. But remember, I still had an event to be at a few hours later, preferably not smelling to high heaven. What to do?

Go to the gym for the sole reason of taking a shower, of course!

I traded my running shoes for shower flip-flops in the parking lot because I had a smaller gym bag, and I'm pretty sure I had a parent ready to call the authorities because he/she pulled over and kept an eye on me until it was clear I was taking off ONLY my shoes. After I washed off all the sweat and sunscreen (safety first, people) I had to remember that the gym at 5:30 p.m. is different than 5:30 a.m., meaning, you'll terrify a lot more children if you are lax about putting on your clothes as you dry off. Sorry, kids, but it is a locker room.

And I was back at the office looking professional once again with plenty of time to spare.

I felt kind of weird showing up at the gym already sweaty, but you know what? I pay to use their services -- who cares if I use one service one day and something else another day? I don't pay a per-shower fee, I pay a monthly fee that includes everything.

And you know what else? It was really convenient not having to drive all the way home to make myself presentable. I might just do it again if I have to be somewhere after a run where stinking would be frowned upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment