Thursday, September 28, 2017

Upcoming changes in my bike routine

It’s been busy at work and I’m feeling overwhelmed generally, so no blog posts for you!

We have a big event this weekend and the past couple of weeks have been go, go, go. Sadly, that means I have to work all day Saturday. Sadly sadly, that means I won’t get the chance to ride my bike on the closed-to-car-traffic route for the last time before May. Super bummer! I did get out this past Saturday and it was enjoyable, even though it was so hot I had to stop by my car for ice water.

I mentioned a few blog posts ago that I had just ridden my fastest ride in a year, which made me both happy and sad. Like my most recent fastest run in the past year, my feelings are a mix of being happy that my overall speed is increasing, yet frustrated that I’m making such slow progress and that I have such a low bar to clear.
That green triangle means it was my fastest ride in a year... sadly.

Because I’m a typical Type A triathlete, I went back and looked at all the other times I’ve logged in DailyMile faster bike rides since 2012. Four of those were races (all sprints, I’m pretty sure) so that doesn’t really count. Of the six other times, my fastest was 0.5 mph quicker and, inexplicably, on a 50+ mile ride. WTF???

So I guess I haven’t gotten THAT much slower in the past few years, but I have still gotten slower, which is pretty darn depressing. I know the problem is that I just don’t ride enough. I struggle with finding the time to get in the saddle more, between working a full-time job, running a few times a week after work, and doing all the healthy food planning, shopping, cooking, and prepping. I already don’t get enough sleep.

One of my goals for October is to find a three-times-a-week TrainerRoad program and complete it. I’m paying for a subscription, so I might as well use it and all the features that come along with it. My bike needs a lot of work, and if I’m dedicated all winter I should have something to show for it in the spring. Right? Right? Please tell me I’m right.




2 comments: