Sunday, September 24, 2017

Cutting back on runs and goals

I had good intentions to get in 11 miles today. It would be a nice, round number for the week (35) and get me a big chunk of the way toward my goal of 100 for the month.

I had a commitment in the late morning so I did my food prep beforehand and hit Trader Joe's right afterward. By the time I got outside, the weather looked like this:
I can handle hot, I can handle sunny, and I can handle no breeze, but all three turned out to be too much for me. I tried, I really did, but by mile 4 I was starting to slow down. I could not fathom 7 more miles. So, I swung home to make 5 for the day.

I'm bummed, yes. I hate cutting sessions short because a small part of me feels like a failure. And longer-term, I'm bummed because there's really no way I'll hit 100 miles now.

But, I made the best of it. After I showered and cooled down, my husband and I had a drink by a pool we have access to and hung out in the shade. We made a couple new friends and ended up staying for dinner. It wasn't a total loss.

I know I'll be complaining about 0 degree temperatures before too long, but dang. This "summer" weather was just too much for me today.



No comments:

Post a Comment