Wednesday, August 3, 2016

July in review: Building up the run but not much else

July training by minutes.
July got off to a bad start. I had my first DNF and DNS after a panic attack in the water, and I decided it was best for my well-being to take a step back and focus on running and strength training for a while.

Running was the only thing I felt I had any success at this month. I’m still nowhere near the mileage I was doing a year ago, when I set my personal monthly best mileage-wise, but I’m still building without injury. (Knock wood.) Plus, running is still fun. So I’ll take it.

Strength training went OK. I only did three sessions, but I did try a new-to-me class, which I enjoyed (and have already been back). I resigned riding and swimming to cross-training, warmups or recovery.

For some reason it seemed like there was a LOT going on this month. There was one week where I had something going on nearly every evening. I had an out-of-town grad party that took up an entire Saturday. The heat was into the 90s many evenings and, let’s be honest, sometimes I just didn’t feel like running in it. Wah wah wah, blah blah blah, excuse excuse excuse.

By the numbers, it was:

Swim: Three times, all in the pool, for about 2.5 hours. No, that is not a weekly total; it is a monthly total. These were slow recovery slogs and honestly, I am not really missing it.

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for about 3.25 hours. Again, no, that is not a weekly total; it is a monthly total. Since I’m not doing any triathlons in the near future, I just can’t be bothered to round up all my bike stuff to go for an actual ride. I’ve been getting on the trainer occasionally to cross train, but that’s about it.

Run: OK! Here’s where I’ve had a bit of success. I ran 12 times for 65 miles in about 10.5 hours. This is a small increase from 60 miles in June, and I am thrilled. Most of these were shorter after-work runs and easy runs with my husband as he trained for a 5K mid-month. Since it’s been so hot and humid, I haven’t been doing any real “speed” work, but I did get a few speedy miles in there – a couple runs had average paces in the 9:teens, which I’m fine with considering where I’m at. I also did a double one day, which is rare for me, when I ran the 5K with my husband and did an additional 9 miles later to make a 12-mile “long” run. (11 miles was my longest “long” run in one go.)

Other: I did three weights sessions – two heavy/body routines and one barre class – and self-guided yoga twice. I didn’t do any pre-hab – BAD!

I don’t know yet what the rest of the summer will hold. I haven’t deleted all potential triathlons off my calendar, but I’m just not in a hurry to get back in the water or in the saddle. I haven’t registered for any other races, running or multisport. I’m going to keep on keepin’ on and reassess as necessary, but right now I’m happy doing this. So this is what I’ll keep doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment