Monday, July 11, 2016

Week in review July 4-10: A training regroup and adapting my running plans

Lots of running and overall not bad.
I felt like I needed to take a break and do some self-evaluation following my DNF and DNS last weekend. After some thinking, I decided I want to focus on running every-other-day-ish and lifting weights for the time being, with swimming and biking as cross-training and recovery, and see what happens. If I realize I really miss being in the pool or in the saddle, there’s nothing stopping me from getting back out there.

I took the 4th of July completely off anything except reading, working in the garden, walking the dogs and barbecuing with friends. It was nice to relax and get the tomato plants back under control for the time being. I took an extra PTO day on the 5th and had big plans to go for a run, but my husband’s truck broke down and we spent a chunk of the day waiting at the dealership for my mom to come rescue us. And because he had to chauffeur me to work to use my car during the day, that limited the training I could do after work. I managed one quick run before it got too dark on Wednesday (my first running adaptation of the week).

I ran errands after work Friday and set out to do a few miles before dinner. The weather channel said the rain would not start until later but it started sprinkling at about mile 1.5. I don’t mind rain, but shortly after the sprinkles started the thunder and lightning followed, and I decided to play it safe and run back home. I was resigned to doing another 3 or so on the treadmill but it started clearing up so… I went back out there. I ended up doing 6 quick miles in two parts (my second running adaptation of the week).

Since I’m trying to be good about only running every other day for now, I decided Saturday would be a bike trainer and heavy weights day. Spending the day indoors allowed me to catch up on The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and give lots of between-sets belly rubs to the mutts.

I knew getting up early Sunday to crank out 11 miles would be asking a lot so instead I slept in and headed out in the afternoon. It was already getting pretty hot, but I had my Gatorade and a plan to run in an area with shade and water fountains. Except… I couldn’t find parking. Like, anywhere. So, Plan B: I headed out to the city’s island park which, coincidentally, is 5.5 miles around, perfect for an 11-mile run. (Running adaptation of the week No. 3.) There is very little shade and there were a zillion cars and bikes out, but I focused on running at a consistent pace and drinking every 2 miles, and finished strong. I’m sure I was a sight to see drenched in sweat with my Pain Face on.

By the numbers, it was:

Run: Three times, all on the road, for 20.5 miles in about 3 hours, 15 minutes.

Bike: Once on the trainer for 1:30.

Weights: One circuit of heavy/bodyweight lifting for about 1:15.

Yoga: One 15-minute session of mostly bends, pigeons, twists, etc.

Total: 6 sessions in about 6 hours, 15 minutes.

Overall, not bad, considering I lost a few evenings. If I can get in some decent running mileage this week, I’ll be happy. If I can do some lifting and cross training, even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment