Monday, July 25, 2016

Week in review July 18-24: The one where I’m a slug

That's ... not a lot.
Last week was bad for training.

I forgot my swimsuit on a trip to the pool, and was so mad at myself about it I could only do some yoga later. I had a doctor’s appointment and a friend’s going-away party one night. Other friends were in town for dinner another night. I had some financial stuff to take care of another night. And did I mention it’s been in the high 90s all week?

Yeah. So. I didn’t do much.

I did take care of myself in other ways, though. I got A LOT of sleep this weekend. I spent a decent amount of time grocery shopping and prepping healthy food, and even made some Paleo banana bread. I saw “The Secret Life of Pets” with my husband and parents in a nice, cool theater on Saturday and laughed my butt off. I rubbed my mutts’ bellies. I worked in the garden. I lingered over an iced latte in a hipster coffee shop. I got to spend time with friends and wrap up that financial stuff, as inconvenient for training as it was.

Training-wise, it came out to:

Run: Twice, both on the road, for 10 miles total in about 1:35. This included one hot and slow run after work, and one short and surprisingly speedy run at dusk another night. It was just too hot for a long run over the weekend (and too humid when it wasn’t too hot) and I couldn’t stomach double digits on the treadmill.

Yoga: Once, some self-guided runner-focused moves, for about 15 minutes. I felt like I needed to do SOMETHING after my aborted swim and this was all I had the energy left for.

Total: Three sessions in just less than 2 hours. My lightest week in a long time.

I had a lot going on last week and it seemed like external forces weren’t working in my favor. But I DID run twice and had some fun, so not all is lost. There’s not much else I can do except move on and tackle this coming week head-on.

No comments:

Post a Comment