Thursday, July 28, 2016

It’s 2016. Can we please get over getting “chicked”?

It was already in the 90s by the time I hit the running trail Tuesday, but I had my Gatorade and a plan to and stop in the shade and drink every 1.5 miles. I was just going out for an easy run to get some miles in the legs, anyway, not set any records or do any speed work.

Things were going hot but fine as I came to the traffic stop at about mile 4.5. There was a guy walking ahead of me, and I recognized him as a runner I see now and again on the trail. He saw me coming and did the "runner's nod."

As we came up to the red light, he launched into an explanation of how hot it was and how he was finding it difficult to run. I'm not sure if he thought he needed to justify his walking, or if he felt like I needed to know I wouldn't be running by him on a regular day. I was too hot and tired for a feminist rant, so I just smiled and said "Good luck!" as I ran on.

This isn't the first time this has happened, by a long shot. Usually a guy will look over his shoulder, see me, and speed up. Sometimes I mess with their heads. But since I run alone and don't need any trouble, usually I just let it go.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But if you're a man, and I run by you, I assure you I really don't care and you shouldn't either. Get out there and live your life and stop worrying about being "chicked."

No comments:

Post a Comment