Monday, August 10, 2015

Week in review August 3-9: Wedding over workouts

Hey, I did something other than swim/bike/run!
My sister-in-law's wedding took priority last week -- and as a bridesmaid I was involved with it ALL WEEK -- so I was limited on the amount of training I did Wednesday through Friday. By Saturday, my life was starting to get back to normal.

I did a long ride Saturday and a long run Sunday and afterward went out for coffee with my husband. After sitting for an hour or so, I started to get up and my knee locked up. My IT band was incredibly tight and I couldn't put any weight on it! I have been babying it and stretching since yesterday, and I'm planning on shuffling my schedule so I take a day off running tomorrow. Fingers crossed that my knee is just a little inflamed from all the activity, because I don't want to think about the other option.

Swim: Just once in the pool for 3500 yards in about 1 hour, 23 minutes. I didn't get to bed until after midnight both Wednesday and Friday so there were no Thursday or Saturday morning swims.

Bike: Once on the trainer and my longest road ride ever, 62 miles, for a total of about 4.5 hours. My trainer ride was a comedy of errors (forgot to put my bike on the trainer, knocked over my water glass, etc.) but my road ride felt amazing and strong.

Run: Three times -- a short and speedy, quick brick, and LONG long run of 20 miles -- for 28 miles total in about 4.5 hours. Any time the humidity is in the 80-90 percent range and I manage an average starting with 9, I'm counting that as a success. All three runs felt good. Again, I was busy with wedding stuff Wednesday through Friday, so no afternoon or evening runs for me.

Funny story about my Tuesday evening run: There was a guy ahead of me and he was bound and determined not to get "chicked" (passed by a woman). He kept looking over his shoulder and speeding up when I got too close. I was feeling good so I decided to have some fun with him and descend my pace. I got the last mile down to an 8:08 pace and he finally gave up and had to slow to walk. I ran as smoothly as possible by him, pretending that it ain't no thang. Guys, seriously, it's 2015 -- can we please get past the whole "beat by a girl" thing?

Also funny: I spent almost exactly as much time on the bike as I did in my running shoes this week -- both were 4 hours, 24 minutes and change.

Other: My knee was in a bit of pain by Sunday evening so I spent a half hour stretching, mostly hips and hamstrings, and felt a lot better afterward.

Overall: 7 sessions in about 10.75 hours. Let's call it a step back week.

I have a truckload of evening meetings this week but even if I take tomorrow off to rest my knee, I should still be able to get most of my runs in. I still have to clean the drywall dust out of the condo (in fact my goal before I go to bed is to mop out my closet and move some shelves back in there!) but I am hopeful that the bulk of the craziness is over for the summer.

Less than two weeks 'til my 70.3! I am ready and I am ready for my life to get back to normal... or at least as normal as it can be when I still have a marathon two months away.


  1. Love the graphs and charts. And that "beat a girl" thing happens to me all the time! Grrrr.

    1. Sadly, this is not the first guy to speed up when they see me behind them. It's OK, I pass them on race day. =)