Thursday, August 20, 2015

A comedy of errors: The Swim that Wasn’t

Those metal pieces are supposed to be attached to your garage door.
I was ready to throw in the towel for this day by 6:30 a.m.

I was woken up just past midnight by a huge clap of thunder, followed almost immediately by my lab mix trying to climb in bed with me. She can’t lie next to me, she has to lie on top of me – all 55 pounds of her – and bury her head in the pillow to escape the scary lights and sounds. After about a half hour of her fidgeting I finally got her to cuddle next to me while I rubbed her belly. Of course, the storm had passed by then. Also of course, my other dog got jealous and had to jump into my side of the bed, too.

After a few more hours of sleep my alarm went off at 4:35 a.m. “Ugh,” I thought. “I’m so tired. I think I’ll skip today.” Followed by, “No! You can’t skip today, it’s your last pool swim of the season! Get up! You’re only working a half-day today, you can nap later.” I got up, had a snack, got ready for the pool, and headed out just after 5 a.m.

I got in my car and hit the garage door button. Nothing happened. I tried again. Nothing happened. I got out and took a look. The metal frame that attaches to the door had sheared off the actual door, so while the motor pulley was working, there was nothing attached to it to pull.

Crap.

I went back upstairs to wake up my husband. He dutifully got the ladder and power driver and tried to re-attach the frame to the door. It immediately flew off again. By this time, another resident had come down to the garage to get to work early. The three of us used brute force to push it up and open, and stuck a 2 by 4 in the frame. Success! Now we could all leave for work.

Nothing a 2 x 4 can't fix.
Sadly, this took a good hour. If I left right then, I’d be getting to the pool just in time to get out and shower. Sigh. I headed upstairs, made coffee, took a quick shower in my own bathroom, and headed into work.

On the plus side, I was 10 minutes early, for the first time, like, ever.

I'm bummed I missed what was supposed to be my last pool swim of the season. And I'm especially bummed that I was delayed with something other than extra sleep.

2.5 days until race day -- one last pool swim or no.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the race! These small problems are something you will, hopefully, forget in good time. There are plenty of small problems in life that seem huge when you experience them but after a bit of time you forget about them. Hopefully this is one of them. What you will remember is the race and the people that helped you solve those problems.

    Greg Marshall @ Crawford Door of WNY Inc.

    ReplyDelete