Thursday, July 30, 2015

July’s swimming time trial: I’m ready to give up my goggles for good

Not my best work.
I got out of the water this morning feeling frustrated and defeated. Being the last weekday swim of the month, I did my usual 1,100-yard time trial. This time, I was disappointed with the results – especially, and I’ll get into this more in my monthly review post, since this month marks the most I have ever swum in a month, ever. EVER.

So I had gone to the pool this morning with decent expectations. I had swam a 2:01/100 yard pace in April, a 2:07/100 yard for May, and a 2:06/100 yard for June, so I figured I could knock another second or two off my average. My medium sets have been nothing special lately, but I’ve been pulling some decent-for-me 100-yard sprint times.

I hit my watch in 24:25, a 2:13/100 yard pace. This was not only a significant slowdown from the last few months, but also my slowest time since January. January – when I had just started putting decent time in the pool again. Ugh!

I was concentrating on swimming strong and smoothly, but not necessarily fast. I haven’t slept well these last few days, but Thursday swims usually go better than Tuesday swims for some reason. Plus, I’d done plenty of warming up. I didn't have an excuse.

Maybe I could have gone a bit harder. I'm considering doing another time trial in a week or so to see if this was an aberration and if I can push faster.

Either way, I’m going to get through my race in three weeks, then take a step back and reassess my swimming and what I can change to improve. This is already my second pool and I really don't want to find a third. Coach? Lessons? Switch to duathlon? I barely have time to work and train as it is.

Ugh. It wasn't a good way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment