Sunday, July 12, 2015

Off to a late start pretty much all weekend long

Train early, or have someone else make this for me?
It's been a whirlwind weekend.

Friday I kicked off the weekend with a failed attempt at speed work. Then my husband and I went out to a lovely dinner.

Saturday we went out to breakfast (I know, two meals out back to back), hit the farmer's market, and ran a couple other errands. By the time I got out to the state park to swim it was well into the afternoon. I didn't even start my bike ride until after 3 and my quick brick run until almost 7.

Today was more of the same: I had every intention of getting up at 6:30 a.m. to go run, but there was rain on the weather radar, and I decided to go back to bed. Two hours later (!) it was time to make breakfast and go grocery shopping, and it was still muggy and gross, anyway. I didn't start my 16-miler today until after 2 p.m.

I know conventional wisdom says to train first thing in the morning, even on the weekends, but there are times when I can't make it work or, really, just don't want to.

My husband does his own thing during the week and we like going out to breakfast on Saturdays to reconnect. Plus, now that I am doing 50-60 mile bike rides, if I left early to train I'd be lucky to be done before the farmer's market closed. So training gets put off for a few hours.

I can make 10-12-mile runs work first thing in the morning on Sundays, but when I start getting into 14 and 16 miles at a time, it's a little trickier. Like today -- and man oh man, did that extra sleep feel good. I know I don't sleep enough during the week. It can't be so terrible to want an extra hour or two on the weekend, right?

So, for now at least, I'm not going to feel guilty about training in the afternoons when I have to or just don't want to get up early. It's all part of juggling what precious little free time I have. As long AS the training sessions happen, I don't think it matters too much WHEN they happen.

Plus, come on -- breakfast dishes that someone else washes? That's a luxury everyone should partake in at least once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment