Monday, June 24, 2019

Week in review June 17-23: An absolutely perfect start to summer

Half my time biking, and more than half of that was a gorgeous outdoor ride.
Last week was one of the best training weeks I've had in a long time. I didn't do a ton of training, but I felt like I did some high-quality stuff and the weather most days was PERFECT. Summer wowed us with its entrance!

On the bike, I did an FTP retest and did a nice, long outdoor ride. And I had absolutely gorgeous weather for all three of my runs. PT and weights wasn't AS great, but I still did a little bit of each. I did go out for coffee twice during the week, but I cooked dinner at home every day, so that counts toward the "healthy" column.

I did only one thing after work each day, but I was able to rally this weekend with doubles both Saturday and Sunday. It helps that I took today (Monday) and tomorrow off work as PTO days, so I didn't have to do my grocery shopping and food prep yesterday. I spent the extra time doing PT and barbecuing with the in-laws, welcoming summer on their back deck and donating some blood to the local mosquito population. I was so happy to have nice weather I didn't even care.

Anyway, workouts were:

Bike: Three times, twice on the trainer for 19 fake trainer miles in two one-hour-ish sessions, and then a gorgeous summer ride of 40 miles in about 2.5 hours. I was up early-ish on Saturday and spend that extra time doing three laps of the park, with a short back and forth to make it 40 even. I didn't have to dodge too much kids-on-bikes traffic (although some random rollerbladers blocked the lane and then wouldn't move for an ambulance???) but I did have issues almost falling not once, but twice when I stopped and unclipped one foot to drink. After that all drinks were taken with both feet on the ground.

PT: Two homework sessions, one all of my knee + hamstring exercises and one of hamstring exercises only, for about 2 hours total.

Run/Walk: Three easy run/walk interval wogs, all on the road, for about 8.4 miles total in about 1:48. I was pretty sore last Monday after adding one more run/walk interval to make a "long" run two Sundays ago, so I took one more week at 2:30/2:30 run/walk just to make sure everything was OK.

I do get some hamstring pain during the run portions but I find it only happens if I'm not being super careful with my form. I am thinking about working with a form coach or getting some kind of physiological assessment to see if I keep getting left-side injuries because of different leg lengths, or the scoliosis I was diagnosed with as a kid, or something else. I really want to get to the root of the problem and address the biomechanics instead of treating injuries.

Weights: One barre class for about an hour. Speaking of glutes, we REALLY worked them this class.

Total: 9 sessions in almost 9.5 hours. I am happy with this! I feel it was a good week.

As I said above, I took today and tomorrow as PTO days so I'm about to hop on the trainer for a bit (I'd go for an outdoor ride but it's gloomy and misty outside, and the logistics won't quite work) and lift some weights before relaxing for the rest of the day. And I'd like to do a nice run tomorrow before jumping into the grocery shopping and food prepping I didn't have to do yesterday. 

I hope you had a great week and as awesome a start to summer as I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment