Monday, July 1, 2019

Week in review June 24-30: A strong start but a sleep-deprived finish

Less biking, but a more even spread overall.
Last week started out great. I had taken off work Monday and Tuesday so I could skip town and avoid the International Freedom Festival fireworks between Detroit and Windsor, sparing my dog the terror of the scary booms from the sky. But by the end of the week, I was exhausted and needed a couple days completely off training to recover.

I was able to do a long-ish trainer ride and even go through my heavy/bodyweight lifting routine before heading out of town on Monday, so I was feeling good. We slept horribly Monday night but were back early enough on Tuesday that I could grocery shop, go for a run, and get through a full round of my PT moves while food prepping for the week. I even did a bit of yoga before bed. I was powering through and feeling great!

Unfortunately it was back to reality on Wednesday and the only thing I could muster after work was a trainer ride before ordering in dinner and doing nothing else for the evening. I rallied for a run after work Thursday and enough food prep to make sure I had healthy things to eat on Friday. Friday ended up being a 14-hour day of my regular work before heading out to an evening event, capped off with a 55 pounds of fluff panting in my face at about 3 a.m. when a storm rolled through. Even though we left to avoid the fireworks, we couldn’t escape the scary thunder. Poor thing.

I had high hopes for an outdoor ride on Saturday, but we were running behind after recovering from a scared dog keeping us awake, and got to the market and brunch so late that became unfeasible pretty quickly. I could have rallied for a trainer ride but lying down for 20 minutes turned into a full-fledged nap and there was no turning the ship around after that. I chalked it up to a very necessary rest day. I did manage a nice run yesterday (Sunday) although my body still felt tired.

I really didn’t get enough sleep Saturday night or last night, either. I don’t let myself sleep in too late on Sundays, since I’ll never get up for work at 5:45 a.m. on Mondays if I do, but sadly that didn’t help the tossing and turning last night. That alarm came early.

So I guess my takeaway from last week is that I didn’t get nearly enough sleep. But I did get in a few workouts:

Bike: Twice, both on the trainer, for 33.75 fake miles in about 2:18. I did a few minutes longer on my day off Monday, but I didn’t make that Saturday ride happen.

Run/walk: Three times, all on the road, for 8.85 miles in about 1:53. I was able to bump up my run intervals to 3 minutes with 2 minutes walking, with no problems.

PT: One homework session of all my exercises, for hamstrings and glutes, in about 1:30.

Weights: One heavy/body session in about 1:15.

Yoga: One self-guided session for about 15 minutes.

Total: Eight sessions in about 7:11. Eh, it’s still more than a sessions a day for more than an hour a day on average, so I can’t be too mad overall. But man, I crashed and burned by Saturday.

Here’s to a few days without storms, fireworks, or tossing and turning at night. And happy Canada Day to my neighbors.
I haven't included pics of my girls in a while, so here's my big baby...

... and my "ferocious" pibble, doing what she does best: Snoozing.


No comments:

Post a Comment