Friday, July 26, 2019

Things I forget for running

Amazingly ugly socks I bought when I forgot mine.
I try to run immediately after work twice or so per week: I get out there before motivation wanes, there is a nice trail by my office, and I skip any rush hour traffic. Because I pack a running bag in the morning, it’s always a crapshoot whether or not I’m going to remember everything I need.

The other day, I was trying to psych myself up all day to go for a run even though my rational brain was not having it. Me: “You’ll feel so much better if you do!” Also me: “I’m tired.” Me: “You are fortunate to be able to run at all, get out there and have a great time!” Also me: “I don’t want to.” Repeat.

I was in the middle of something else, not even thinking about running at all, when I suddenly realized that I hadn’t packed socks that day. I checked my running “go bag” and nope – not a sock to be found. Between that and the rain that had been falling all day, I took it as a sign that my rational brain was actually correct in this case, and enjoyed a rest day.

It’s not the first time I’ve forgotten socks. In fact, I have an amazingly ugly pair of flowered and striped socks that I bought from a local tri shop’s bargain bin the last time I forgot. (Sadly, that tri shop is no longer.) I should keep a couple of extra pairs in my car, but I find that laundry gremlins tend to steal them.

There was also a stretch of a couple of weeks where I could not remember a sports bra for the life of me. Luckily, I can manage a run with a regular bra, but every time seemed to happen right after I had done laundry. I have also forgotten underpants for after a morning workout and since then keep an extra pair in my gym bag – I don’t want to forget an item that essential ever again!

And, of course, I’ve forgotten the odd hat, earbuds, water bottle, etc. and had to make do. I once forgot my iPod for my last 20+ miler before a marathon and almost turned around to get it (this was in the age of the dinosaurs before we had music on our phones) – but ended up having a lovely long run filled with nature sounds instead.

What will I forget next time?



No comments:

Post a Comment