Monday, July 8, 2019

Week in review July 1-7: Shocker – when I have time off work, I train more

Decent trainer riding and not-too-shabby other stuff.
I wanted to pop over here and write something mid-week, but I was too busy over a long Independence Day weekend relaxing, lazing around, and taking care of some of the little things that pile up (all over the house…). I didn’t do anything big and didn’t travel anywhere, but I got to hang out with out-of-town family, see friends I haven’t seen in months, splash in a pool, eat WAY too many hot dogs, enjoy a few sunsets, and other shenanigans that come with a summer holiday. I DID get some decent training in as well.

We got sent home early Wednesday (my boss was ready to peace out before we were, lol) which gave me plenty of time for an extra-long trainer ride before a family dinner. I marked the actual Fourth of July holiday with a double of a barre class and a very hot wog, which was followed by lazing around, reading, spending too much time on Instagram, drinking by the pool, etc. One highlight of the weekend was 6.5 pounds of pork roast that had spent 16 hours in the slow cooker and was much enjoyed by my husband and me for the next few days.
I wore one red and one blue sock to barre but I don't think anyone noticed. =(
We did make it to the pool to splash around, but no real swimming was done.
Friday was an easy day of making a strawberry rhubarb crisp with rhubarb from my mom’s garden, doing all my PT, and a barbecue at our friends’ house, where I ate WAY too many of the aforementioned hot dogs. In hindsight, I did a lot of lazing around this day and could have squeezed in a pool swim, but there’s something to be said for taking a day once in a while to not change out of your pajama pants until 3 p.m.

We were pretty much back to our routine by Saturday. I would have liked to get in a long outdoor ride but the weather was being finicky and it ended up storming during my riding window, so I was happy I was on the trainer inside. And I did my usual “long” run yesterday during my usual food prep routine. Nothing special there.

I would have liked to lift yesterday and even optimistically kept my workout clothes on after my run, but alas, by the time I was at a good stopping point it was already getting late. I’ll try to get back into a routine of a video or barre during the week and heavy lifting on the weekend.

Anyway, it all worked out to be:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 57 fake trainer miles in about 3:55. Not too shabby, but I wish the weather would have cooperated on Saturday. Oh well, it is supposed to be nice this weekend so fingers crossed I can get in a good ride then.

PT: Three homework sessions for about 2:30. Hey, not bad on this one! And I got in one hamstring session after work early in the week!

Run/Walk: Three times, all easy run/walks on the road, for 8.65 miles in about 1:50. Slowly, slowly, slowly building up. I was happy to get outside all three times even if I had to dodge storms one day and deal with the humidity another day. Other than the weather everything felt pretty good. I’m still having a bit of uncomfortableness in my left hamstring if I let my form lapse, but concentrating on running smartly seems to do the trick.

Weights: One barre class for about an hour.

Yoga: One solo session of mostly bends, pigeons, twists, etc. for about 15 minutes.

Total: 11 sessions in about 9.5 hours. Not bad at all!

There are always going to be things I wish I could have accomplished during a few days off, but I’m pretty happy with the mix of training, household to-dos, lazing around, and spending time with friends and family. Now, it’s back to that pesky “work” thing, but I’m hoping to keep the momentum going as long as I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment