Monday, July 22, 2019

Week in review July 15-21: The bare minimum for what ended up being a not-great week

Eh.
It was a rough week on many levels. I never felt I was ahead of the game, the temperature got hotter and hotter and/or it rained, and I was tired and crabby for most of the week for a variety of reasons.

I got the week off to a good start with a trainer ride and a healthy dinner. after work on Monday. Tuesday it was raining to the point that roads were flooding and it was difficult to get home from work. I was pretty much over it by the time I got home so we went out to dinner and I did the minimum required amount of adulting that evening. Does that count as self care?

My husband was out of town Wednesday which meant extra dog duty for me, but at least I could plan for it. It was also ridiculously hot, so I stayed in the air conditioning to do a weights video until the sun started to go down, and then went for an easy wog. Not ideal, but I made it work. I usually have morning dog duty so Thursday was pretty normal and I got the entire French press to myself! Mwa ha ha! I needed it because it was a long, exhausting day at work and I came home tired … again. Ugh.

The heat got worse so I caved and went to the gym for a nice, air-conditioned wog after work on Friday, even though I REALLY wanted to go home and be a blob. I was pretty proud of myself for rallying, and I even had decent speedy-ish run intervals. I’ll take it. Saturday was the worst of the weather and I didn’t even want to attempt an outdoor ride.

But I had another setback on Saturday. I have thyroid issues and as a result my blood sugar can get wonky. (Yes, I’ve been tested for diabetes.) After my normal 1.5-ish hour Saturday ride, a few hours after a decent brunch with plentiful carbs, and WHILE I was eating a snack, I started to get that familiar nausea + shakiness + headache and had to go lie down for an hour or so. Maybe because it was hotter than normal I was more sensitive? I was especially bummed because we had wanted to go hang out at our outdoor pool and we totally missed the window. On the plus side, we also missed the storm that blew in later, and ended up meeting up with a friend afterward to make it an enjoyable Saturday evening.

I had plans to salvage some of my weekend training plans yesterday, but family drama took over some time budgeted for a weights workout and PT. I did get my long-ish wog done, and I did spend some time in the garden, and I did do some food prep and make dinner, so not all was lost.

TL,DR: Heat + crabbiness + work stress + other drama = not a good week for training. It ended up being:

Bike: Three times, all on the trainer, for 54.26 fake trainer miles in about 3:36. I tried to shake it up a bit with some new Trainer Road workouts, which was fun. I tend to do the same three or four workouts in rotation and I’d like to spice it up a bit more.

Run/Walk: Three times, twice on the road and once on the treadmill, for 9.3 total miles in about 1:54. Everything felt … unremarkable. I’m doing well building up the run intervals, I am concentrating on good form, and nothing really hurts (except my pride that I’m not as fast as I used to be). I feel good about my progress here.

Weights: One video for about 1:05. I feel like I’m doing the bare minimum with “other” stuff but at least I did something.

Total: Seven sessions in 6:35. Eh, I’ve done worse and it was a stressful week, so I’m not going to beat myself up about it.

There are going to be many, many weeks that will be less than awesome and last week was one of them. I still got in some solid training so let’s consider it a moderate success. Now, to build on last week for an even better week this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment