Monday, July 15, 2019

Week in review June 8-14: Summer holidays are over but the heat is on

Not my best week, but I had some decent rides and decent runs.
Happy Monday, everyone. I tried to write something mid-week so this space is more than just a rehash of what I did the week before, but I got busy. And then there was Thursday night when I used up every iota of mental energy to do a weights video before becoming a human blob and eating nothing but ordered-in pulled pork for dinner. You know how it goes.

I worked a regular Monday-Friday week so I didn’t do any extra training on any holiday days off work, I’m sad to say. I did do three bike rides, including one outside, and three runs, including one a smidge faster than usual. There was one session of PT and the aforementioned weights video, but that was it for the week.

On the plus side, the only time I didn’t cook dinner was for that barbecue on Thursday; I even cooked dinner Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday. And I worked in the garden for a bit yesterday and picked lettuce, zucchini, and squash for dinner yesterday evening, which was amazing. Having super fresh veg all summer long definitely helps keep me on the eating a healthy dinner wagon. Yay veggies!

The workouts I did were:

Bike: Twice on the trainer for 30.25 fake trainer miles and once on the road for 25 miles for about 3:44 all together. Trainer rides were my usuals and I didn't get out to the closed-to-traffic bike route until late, so I called it at 25 rather than risk getting hit, which was disappointing. BUT, at least I got to get outside on a nice day.

Run/Walk: Three times, all on the road, for 9.65 miles in about 1:56. This actually was a great week for running: I successfully bumped up my intervals to 3:30 running/1:30 walking, I did something resembling speed work on a very hot Friday, and I kept that one extra interval on Sunday to make a "long" run. Except for the heat I had good weather all three days, which I was very happy for.

Weights: One 55-minute video. This was really difficult to work in my week this time around.

PT: One 30-minute session for hamstrings only. Same.

Total: 8 sessions in about 7:05. This still an average of an hour a day so I can't be too upset about that, although I wish I'd fit in more.

Something kind of funny happened with my weights video Thursday: My legs killed me for days afterward. They felt heavy on my run Friday, I didn't have any speed for my ride Saturday, and they were STILL a bit sore on Sunday. I said I wasn't sure if that was because of A. Being out of racing shape, B. The video, C. Getting old, or D. All of the above. Sadly it was probably D. But, I was still out there even with sore legs, getting it done as much as I could. Yay!



1 comment: