Wednesday, June 12, 2019

A very belated May in review: Trainer rides and back to running

Oh lord, I am behind in everything in life right now. Look, I am eating three times a day, making it to work mostly on time, working out, and making sure my bills are paid before they come due, and that's about all I can manage at this point. I am trying to make the most of the hours I have in the day.

But! I have a hot minute to review my training for May. At this point it’s pretty much for posterity only, for when sometime next year I think, "What on earth was I doing this time last year?" Haha.

May wasn’t a bad month. I got cleared to try run/walking again. I did lots of trainer riding. I went out of town and spent time with friends for Memorial Day weekend (and ran twice while I was gone!). I lifted some weights and did some PT homework.

It wasn’t great, either. Weights fell off the radar a third of the way into the month. I didn’t do any yoga or make it to the pool once. I didn’t do any workouts other than ride, wog, lift, or PT – no beach volleyball over Memorial Day, no hiking, no nothing like that. Bleh.

But, focusing on the positive, it was:
Cycling mileage, mostly on the trainer, over the last 11 months.
Bike: 11 times, all on the trainer, for 187 trainer miles in 12 hours, 48 minutes. This is a bit less than what I did last month, but not too shabby considering I had about a week off trainer rides for travel.

PT/Rehab: 6 sessions, three at the clinic and three homework sessions, in about 4:30. Eh, not great. It's about half of what I did last month. I slacked off at the end of my clinic run.

Run/Walk: 7 times, all on the road, for 16.07 miles in about 3 hours, 49 minutes. I didn't run at all in April so this is a huge improvement! Haha. Honestly, I am just happy to be getting out there a few times a week. Getting to run while in Chicago and Iowa City was a nice bonus.

As was getting to see these sights:
Gorgeous and amazing-smelling lilacs.
This "love" bear apparently didn't have the intended consequences.
Weights: 3 times, one barre class and two videos, for about 3:10 total. I did all of these in the first third of the month and then ... did nothing. I had a couple of work commitments, friend and family get-togethers, and that trip, and I just didn't make it a priority.

Total: 27 sessions in about 24 hours, 18 minutes. It's not terrible and considering the busy month and the slow return to running, I'll take it.

And a revisit of my loose goals for the year:

Rebuild running smartly: I had a setback but I'm back on the right path, hopefully.

Make PT as much of a priority as running: By the numbers, 6 sessions of PT and 7 of running, it almost was! I am not obeying the spirit of the law, though. I really struggle to fit this into my day.

Keep cycling on the trainer: I have been knocking this one out of the park. At least I am doing SOMETHING well, hooray!

Get back in the pool: No progress on that front.

Continue a lifting routine that works: This started out well but fell flat. So, I will continue to try to right myself on this path.

Yoga: No progress on this front, either. Ugh. Again, I just struggle to fit this in my day.

Sprint triathlon and/or half marathon: This is all on hold mostly because of my running, but also because of my pool aversion.

I also picked a "phrase of the year" but guys, it's not going well: ARRIVE, DRIVE, STRIVE, THRIVE, ALIVE. I arrive, some of the time. I have a bit of drive, for some things. I'm not competitive right now so I don't have much to strive for. As for thriving and feeling alive ... I am just not at the moment.

I am not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but I'm definitely not in the place I was 5 years ago when I was in marathon and half-Ironman shape, and I miss it. This month of wogging and not swimming and being back in physical therapy was rough on my psyche.

Looking on the bright side, there's hopefully a whole lot of summer, outdoor riding and wogging, barbecues, 5Ks, and other adventures waiting for me. I don't want to say it can only get better, but I do have a lot of room for improvement. Plus, the year's not even half over yet. A LOT can happen in six months.



No comments:

Post a Comment