Monday, June 10, 2019

Week in review June 3-9: A great week for riding, and not bad for wogging

Not a bad week, especially for riding and running.
Last week was the first week in a while I felt like I was actually getting back on a schedule. I did my normal workouts during the week, including a couple doubles, and took Friday off. I also rode my bike outside for the first time this season — always fun for me.

I worked an early, all-day event on Monday and came home exhausted, but was able to rally for a nice bike trainer ride and some PT, which I think helped set the stage for the week. I ran on a path near my office on Tuesday for the first time in a LONG time, so that was a nice change of pace. I also went to a barre class for the first time in a while and ran twice more with my husband. The week had a lot of highlights!

I am still slacking on yoga and haven’t swam in approximately 100 years. I really had good intentions to do some yoga before bed last night but the exhaustion from the last week caught up to me and I ended up going to bed as soon as I could.

One tangentially training-related bummer of the week was that I didn’t get to sleep in at all this weekend, even though I took Friday off. I had plans Friday and Saturday mornings and don’t like to sleep too late on Sundays – 7:45 am is usually my max since I get up at 5:45 am during the week. Boo. But, a tangentially training-related victory was that we ate dinner at home every single day! We went out for breakfast once and lunch once, but dinners were pretty healthy and (mostly) home-cooked, so I’ll consider that a victory.

The numbers were:

Bike: Three times, twice on the trainer for 30 fake miles in a bit more than two hours, and once on the road for 31.65 real miles in a bit more than two hours. The trainer rides were business as usual and the outdoor ride was my usual first-of-the-season ride of anxiety for a few miles, then exhilaration as I picked up speed, then disappointment as I realized I had been riding with a tailwind for the first part, haha.

PT/Rehab: Twice, both homework sessions, for about 2 hours total. This included one hamstring-only session and one monster session of all my knee and hamstring exercises as I killed time one afternoon/evening. I am STILL feeling it in my glutes which tells me I need to keep doing my knee PT.

Also, I got what I really hope is my last bill for in-person therapy. I don’t have great insurance and this is going to drain my HSA. Not only is getting old and injured terrible and frustrating, it’s also expensive.

Run/walk: Three easy wogs, all on the road, for 6.75 total miles in about 1:40. I bumped my intervals up this week to 2:30 run/2:30 walk and it felt fine. I found I REALLY have to be watching the form on my run portions or my hamstring will start to hurt immediately.

Weights: I made it to barre class once for an hour. I would have liked to do more but I since haven’t lifted a thing in a month, I’m happy with barre class for now.

Total: Nine sessions in about 8:53. A pretty good week for me!

This week is supposed to be cooler and rainier, and I don’t have many plans, so I am optimistic I will be able to do a decent amount of indoor training this week. Sunday may be commandeered by Father’s Day brunch or barbecues. All in all, it is looking pretty good and I’m hoping to keep building toward a regular training schedule.



No comments:

Post a Comment