Tuesday, June 18, 2019

FTP achievement unlocked!

There has been lots of this over the past few months.
Back in January, I set a goal to increase my virtual FTP on Trainer Road by 26.5%. It seems like a random number, but there is a method to my madness:

I used Trainer Road sporadically in 2017, then hurt my knee and had to take some time off. When I had recovered enough to get serious about bike training again, that first FTP test back (in October of 2018) was an increase of 26.5% from more than a year earlier. So while another 26.5% increase might seem like a big goal, it was based on some low-ish numbers. It might be tough but I knew it would be attainable.

Cycling has always been my weakest discipline and I wanted to get “better” in 2019 but wasn’t sure how to measure “better.” This was a good opportunity for me to commit to training and test regularly so I could get “better.” Since October, I’ve been pretty consistent with getting in three trainer rides per week, barring things like illness, birthday celebrations, out-of-town trips, etc.

So I was thrilled when, after a particularly painful FTP test yesterday, my new suggested FTP was just over that 26.5% mark from when I did that first “real” test in October. Hooray! And nearly 6.5 months ahead of my end-of-year goal! Double hooray!

Sadly, I don’t think another 26.5% increase is in the cards, at least not this year. The increases between tests have gotten smaller and smaller each time, so when I test again any increase will probably be in the 1-2% range. But, that’s OK. Even small progress is still progress.

I will keep working hard, and it’s nice to know that my hard work is starting to have some fitness benefit. I may not ever be good at cycling, but hopefully I can get a little less bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment