Monday, March 27, 2017

Week in review March 20-26: Lots of blah with a couple good workouts

Not great, not terrible.
Last week fell somewhere between great and terrible. I didn’t do a whole lot of running, but I did lift weights twice and do my first “real” bike workout (one that wasn’t just an easy spin to warm up for something else) in a long time.

I had a lot of unexpected rest, though. I started off the week strong with barre Monday and a run Tuesday, but Wednesday was a crappy day and I wasn’t feeling great, so I curled up on the couch with the mutts instead. We had plans with friends Friday, but a sick kid forced them to bail and I curled up in bed with the mutts instead. (Sensing a theme here?)

After a decent night’s sleep I had a good bike workout followed by a good weight-lifting session Saturday, but Sunday was a big event in Detroit and we had friends over for that, so the day was pretty much shot. I was able to do food prep and some pre-hab Sunday evening, which was better than nothing, obviously. Plus having healthy food ready to go goes a long way to setting a healthy tone for me for the week, I’ve found.

It wasn’t much, but last week consisted of:

Run: Twice, once on the road and once on the treadmill, for 13 miles in a bit longer than 2 hours. Tuesday was a fun run, half with my husband and half with my crazy lab mix, on the road. Thursday was my first speed run in a while, and it felt great to be running “fast” (actually: less slow) for the first time in a while.

Bike: One trainer ride for about 1:30. This felt OK! I warmed up, did a few big ring/small ring intervals, and cooled down.

I’ve been doing a lot of thining about how to best approach getting back on the bike. I really can’t justify the cost of a power meter or a smart trainer (especially since they cost more than what I spent on my bike!), but I think I’m going to invest in a better bike computer and a cadence/speed sensor. It’ll give me a better baseline for trainer workouts and I’ll have an easier time measuring improvements… assuming they actually come.

Weights: Twice, one barre class and one heavy/bodyweight routine, for about 2:20 total. Yes, I lifted weights for longer than I ran.

Pre-hab: One rotation of glute/core moves from a recent runner’s clinic for 26 minutes. I could have done an extra 4 minutes of planks or whatever but it was already past my bedtime.

Total: 6 sessions in about 6 hours, 21 minutes.

So yeah, somewhere between great and terrible. No swimming, no yoga, and not a lot of running, but some decent weight-lifting and cross-training. I traded some training time for fun time and not-feeling-great time, but it was nothing out of the ordinary, and I got some decent workouts in anyway.

Another week, here we go.



No comments:

Post a Comment