Monday, October 10, 2016

Week in review Oct. 3-9: A last-minute 10K but not much else

Eh, not great.
It was another classic week of doing OK training-wise for the first part, then fizzling out by the end. I spent a decent amount of time doing food prep Tuesday night, and had to work late Friday (although for a very fun event!). We went to bed early because we had a RACE SATURDAY MORNING which was super fun (full report coming soon) and all day Sunday was errands, coffee, grocery shopping, gardening, food prep and swearing at watching the debate, with (sadly) no time for training.

Since I am really only doing short, slow runs with my husband right now as we taper for the Freep Half, my running mileage has been pretty low. After our race I plan to pick up the running a bit; I’m still not sure when I’ll get biking and swimming back into the equation. Honestly, I don’t see any reason to rush, as I’m not planning on any big multisport races any time soon.

Anyway, last week’s “training” consisted of:

Run: Three times, all outside and all with my husband, for 12.2 miles in about 2:20. This included two easy evening runs and a 10K race Saturday which also served as a shakeout for his big race next weekend.

Weights: One barre class for about an hour. I didn’t leave this one feeling quite so shaky and exhausted, but we did a lot more arm work than other classes. Gotta shake (heh) it up.

Yoga: One 20-minute session on my own. I really wanted to squeeze in another Sunday night but we were at the garden late, which means I started with my food prep late, which means this got postponed. Boo. Well, at least I did something.

Total: Five sessions in about 3:40. Not great, but I did change it up a bit.

This coming week will probably be another easy one, as it’s technically taper. After that, I plan on putting together a training schedule for the upcoming races I want to do in November and February. I like the easier approach I’m taking to running lately, but I do miss the satisfaction that comes with putting in speed sessions and longer runs. The challenge will be continuing as the weather gets colder and the days get shorter. So, let’s see how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment