Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Unofficially picking up my run training

Tentative training schedule.
For the most part, I haven’t run more frequently than every other day since more than a year ago. After I had some SI joint and IT band issues at the end of last summer, anything more than a few miles, separated by a few days, was painful. So I was rebuilding very, very slowly.

Now that the Freep Half is behind me, and training my husband for his first big race isn’t my main concern, I’m going to try out a 3-day rotation of run, run, lift. I’ll keep the running mostly easy, adding another mile or two to my weekend runs until they’re back in the range of 10-12 miles, and throw some speed back in occasionally. (Well, "speed" right now means "less slow" running, but you know what I mean.) Basic stuff.

For fun, I went back through my training logs to the last time I was consistently running more often than every other day. Twice in the last 13 months, I took out my crazy lab to (try to) tire her out a day after I had done a few miles myself. One other time, I went out with my husband the day after I ran by myself, probably trying to be a good motivational coach. I have to go backward to September 2015 to see more than every-other-day running. In fact, in September I was still running 6 days per week, 6 days in a row, which is what got me injured in the first place.

I’m not a spring chicken anymore, and those days are probably behind me. Let's try the two on, one off routine and see how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment