Saturday, March 21, 2015

Hot and humid vacation runs

Nothing like humidity in the 90s before sunrise.
I'm at the airport waiting for my flight home to board -- sad face.

I ate a ridiculous amount of ice cream and loafed around quite a bit this vacation, but I did manage to go for three runs -- two of 5.25 miles and one 6-miler. All three times, I faced the dilemma: Do I run when it's humid and cool, or hot but less humid?

My first run was when it was hot and less humid. Of course it was hot, but I felt fine and managed a 9:25 pace -- not too shabby for me. The second run was the day of my sister's wedding, so it was morning or nothing. I don't mind running in the heat, but this was borderline miserable. I was soaking wet instantly and never really got into a groove. I was about 15 seconds per mile slower. I learned my lesson for my third run and headed out in the heat but low humidity again and managed a 9:26 pace for the full 6 miles, pretty darn good for me this early in the season.

Of course, I didn't swim, or bike, or do my weights video, or do yoga, but it was an amazing vacation and the fact that I got a few hot runs in was just icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment