Monday, February 2, 2015

Week in review Jan. 26-Feb. 1 -- In a funk, in the snow

Some decent training across the board.
Well, this past week wasn't bad. I was expecting worse, at least.

I'm not sure if it's the winter blahs, or cabin fever, or just personal issues weighing on me, but I got into a funk later in the week. On Thursday, I did my trainer ride and it made me so tired I was useless the rest of the day. I deliberately try to do speed runs Friday afternoons because I tend to get depressed on Fridays -- another week gone and the same ol' rat race, perhaps? -- and the accomplishment helps my mood. On Saturday and Sunday, it took me literally HOURS to psych myself up for my long trainer ride and run, and that was the only thing I accomplished either day.

Maybe I just need a goal. I hate signing up for races this time of year, because I'm not one to get up early in sub-zero temperatures just so I can earn a t-shirt. I'm eyeing a few races in April, but that seems SOOOOO far away. Or, I'll just move to Hawaii. I'm sure my husband won't mind.

Swim: Twice this week, both in the pool, for about 2 and a quarter hours total.

Bike: Three times this week for two shorter and one longer session, all on the trainer, for 5 hours total. I added a few minutes here and there to make it 5 even. Realistically, I know I should be riding more times during the week instead of longer, but ugh. There's a foot of snow outside and there's only so much trainer time I can handle.

Run: A surprising 28 miles this week in about 4.5 hours. That breaks down to four runs: one easy, one MMD, one speed and one LSD.


I tried something different for my speed run this week: I warmed up for a mile at 6.0 mph, then tried to bump it up 0.2 mph every half mile. So, the next mile was 6.2 and 6.4, and the next was 6.6 and 6.8 (an 8:49 minute mile pace). I would have liked to keep going, but I was having a bit of difficulty sustaining this as it was, so I took a half-mile breather at 6.0, then did another 1.5 at 6.6, 6.8 and 7.0 (8:34 pace) before cooling down for another mile at 6.0. When I'm used to doing quarter-mile sprints, a half mile is a LOOOONG time. However, now I have something to work toward.

Yoga: Two 30-minute sessions this week for 1 hour total.

Weights: One weights video of about 1 hour.

Plyo: One 20-minute session after my weights.

Pre-hab: Nothing this week. Sad face.

Total: Just more than 14 hours, breaking down to about a third running, about a third biking, and the other third doing swimming and other. I think that's about where I want to be this time of year.


Realistically, I know winter won't last forever, so I have to keep chugging away until I can get back outside. Before I know it, I'll be complaining about how hot it is.


2 comments:

  1. Sign up for the River Bank Run 25k in May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound fun, but that's a bit of a drive for me. I don't want to wear out my welcome staying with my GR friend in case I do MI Titanium again. =D

      Delete