Friday, February 27, 2015

So yeah, I smashed my 1000 meter time trial today

January on the left, February on the right.
I don't like to admit how slow I actually am in the pool but I had such a great victory today I have to share it in all its glory.

I want to do a 1000 meter time trial on the last Friday of every month to gauge progress, and January's was pretty slow. It was to be expected, as I only started getting to the pool a few times a week in December, and that was off and on at best with the holiday craziness.

January's 1000-meter time was 25:32, a plodding 2:33/100 pace. It left a lot of room for improvement, to say the least.

In February, I added an extra swimming day every other week and started tacking on an extra 400 meters when I could. My "fast" still isn't fast, but my averages are creeping downward, second by second. When I got in the pool today, it all clicked. I could feel myself reaching and pulling and zooming through the water. After a few warmup sets, I was ready to go -- and finished the 1000 meters in 21:27, a full 4:05 faster than last month, at a 2:09/100 pace.

I am feeling pretty good about myself and my improvements. I'll probably never be a speedy swimmer, but the fact that I am seeing better and better times is the encouragement I need to keep doing what I'm doing -- more swimming, more yardage, more speed work, and, best of all, more confidence in the water.

1 comment:

  1. Well done! You had mentioned the 1000y (yard for me) time trial in the past and I thought it was a great idea to have a gauge from which to measure progress. Strangely enough, I did mine yesterday.

    ReplyDelete