Monday, July 9, 2018

Week in review July 2-8: Let’s call it a stepback week

Of course I wish I had more bars, but I can't be mad.
The week didn’t get off to a great start, so I’m happy I got any decent level of anything done. My knee was still giving me some problems at the beginning of the week, and I eased back into movement with yoga on Tuesday and a barre class on Wednesday to celebrate the Fourth of July.

I was pretty much back to normal knee-wise on Thursday so I did a trainer ride and tried to do my PT, but I let my blood sugar get too low and had to call it quits and lie down for a bit. I felt fine by the next day and finished my PT after a run, but that was the only PT I did all week. BAD!

I could have gotten a lot more training in over the weekend but I ended up spending quite a bit of time in my garden. My tomatoes needed the pruning, all the plants needed the watering, the dogs needed to roll in the grass and bark at every living creature, and I needed the calm. We followed garden time with a super fun barbecue at a friend’s house. So while my totals aren’t that high, it was a win for everyone.

The numbers work out to be:

Bike: Twice, once on the trainer for 7 fake miles and once on the road for 26 miles, for about 2.5 hours total. It was warm but gorgeous on Saturday and I thoroughly enjoyed a wonderful bike ride in the sunshine. It was my longest and my fastest in a long while, and my legs were really feeling it the next day.

Run/walk: Twice on the road for 4:00 run/2:00 walk intervals with walk warmups and cooldowns, for a total of 8.4 miles in about 2 hours. This included a walk cooldown to the garden yesterday and carrying some beets about a mile home, haha. They were delicious.

Weights: Just the one barre class for about an hour.

PT/rehab: Just the two solo sessions to make up one round of at-home moves in about 45 minutes.

Yoga: I did actually do two solo sessions, mostly pigeons and bends to try to loosen up my hips and hamstrings.

Total: 9 sessions in a hair longer than 7 hours, which is still an hour a day, so it’s not terrible?????

During some quiet time yesterday I started thinking of the words “grace” and “forgiveness.” I’m not sure why they popped into my head, but I want to be a bit nicer to myself on the nights when I can’t do 5,207 things between work and bedtime (spoiler alert: every night). Instead of letting myself get more and more stressed, I need to do the things I can and let go of what I can’t.

I think the weekend was a good mix of exercise, chores, and relaxation. I’m hoping to take that feeling into this week.




No comments:

Post a Comment