Wednesday, July 25, 2018

21 straight days of workouts and a two-a-day

I had done some kind of movement, from a few minutes of yoga to a few hours of cycling and weight training, every day since July 3. Yesterday I broke that mini-streak for a good reason: hanging out with friends at the pool.

In a perfect world I would have been able to leave work a bit early and swim some laps before our friends arrived, but it wasn’t in the cards. Still, no regrets – we had a great time catching up and playing with their kids. Apparently my husband is an excellent pool toy and flotation device for munchkins. Hey, I love kids! …When I can return them to their parents. =)

To make up for it, and because I was already signed up for barre tonight, I got up early and ran before work today. I didn’t get a full night of sleep (I never do) but I was actually looking forward to it and already had my clothes laid out, so it wasn’t bad! I did a quick 5K around the neighborhood and my knee actually felt fine, so I pushed it a little on the intervals. I saw lots of low 9:00s, 8:00s, and even a 7:53!!! For a few seconds. It’s early to get my hopes up because I do still have twinges in my knee joint, but I feel this was a good sign I’m moving in the right direction.

I scrolled through the entire run to find my fastest datapoint. Ha!
Hilariously, the 11:53 minute per mile pace for the entire walk warmup-run/walk intervals-walk cooldown was the fastest run I’ve logged since I started back to running in May. To be fair, that does include all my walking time, but still. And I got an alert that I had run my fastest mile at a 9:50-something, which made me laugh.

Best of all, by the time I got home my husband had already taken the dogs for a walk and started coffee. Yay!

Barre tonight means that today was my first before work and after work two-a-day in a while. I did a Saturday morning barre class and bike ride in the afternoon a couple times last summer, and sometimes do yoga or PT a few hours after a ride or run, but the last time I regularly did them was the summer of 2015 when I was training for my second half-iron distance race. Wow! I’m not saying I want to get back into the waking up before 5 a.m. habit, because, let’s be honest, that sucks.

It was hot in the studio tonight and I definitely worked up another sweat. It made for a long day, but I was glad to have put in some work.



No comments:

Post a Comment