Tuesday, July 3, 2018

My June numbers were a very pleasant surprise

Hours trained in June. Not too bad!
I was legitimately shocked when I added up my totals for June because I had no idea it was so good of a month. Sure, there were five weekends, which skewed things a little bit. But I was floored to see my numbers! More than 11 hours biking and running! 100+ biking miles! Almost 45 miles of running! WHAT?!?

I’ve had some disappointments – running out of time, not making it to the pool, sore knee making me take a few days off – so this was a huge confidence booster. It turned out to be my biggest month, time-wise, since at least the beginning of 2017. I attribute it mostly to being excited to run again, NOT going anywhere for vacation, and being diligent-ish doing my PT at home. I only took three days completely off all month – two to hang with friends and family, and one just because. It definitely all adds up.

My thrilling month worked out to be:

Bike: 12 times, 10 on the trainer (67.5 fake miles) and 2 outside (33 miles), for about 11:37. I increased my usual trainer ride from 30 minutes to 45 and added in a couple of longer weekend rides, which really made the difference. Plus – two outdoor rides on beautiful days. If you do the math I just hit 100 miles for the month and I wasn’t even trying. And, best of all, my knee only had a bit of discomfort here and there while riding. I’m still not doing hills or big gears but I am perfectly happy riding flat and easy for a while.

Run/walk: 13 times, 8 on the road and 5 on the treadmill, for 44.92 miles (I seriously couldn’t add this up before the end of the month and do another 0.08 miles?) in about 11:15. For these, I include the walk warm-up and cool-down I do before my running intervals since it is part of my workout and I call the shots for my training and logging. I started out the month at something like a 16:00 minute/mile pace average including the walk parts, and ended the month at closer to 13:00 including the walk parts. (I haven’t been tracking pace for the run-only segments but I have seen a few 9:20s, 9:30s in there.) I also bumped it up gradually from 3:00/2:00 walk/run to 4:00/2:00 walk/run and my knee is feeling OK. I am NOT looking to do too much, too soon here – slow and steady will win the race and I intend to continue slowly and steadily.

PT/rehab: 14 sessions in about 8:30. All of my PT work is at home now since being unofficially discharged and I try to rotate a shorter routine and a longer routine with a few additional exercises. I feel like I have been slacking lately so I am happy to see that I am averaging about every other day. I mean, I SHOULD be doing this every day, but if I only have an hour I’m going to run or bike. However, I have been good about only allowing myself a few days in a row off PT, max.

Weights: 6 times, 3 barre classes and 3 heavy/body weight sessions, for about 6:45. This is another one that surprised me – I didn’t think I was being THAT consistent. My usual goal for the week is to lift heavy on the weekends and go to barre during the week. I have a few videos that I like that I should dust off, as well. It doesn’t hurt to change it up every now and then and work some different muscles.

Yoga: 3 times, all at home, for 55 minutes. OK, this wasn’t great, but I have only done yoga once this year in April! So this is a huge improvement! Catching 15 or 20 minutes here and there is what seems to be working for me, when it works, so I’m going to continue as I can.

Total: 48 sessions!!!!!!!!!! In 39 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made some loose monthly goals at the beginning of 2018, which were:

Work through my health issues and re-start a training schedule that gets me back to racing. I am running more and signed up for a 5K in a few weeks, although I won’t be “racing” it. I feel like I’m on the right track. I have a doctor’s appointment next week to check in on a few things.

Run some cool places, maybe another marathon. I am back on my usual running routes, does that count? I didn’t really do any cool places in June.

Work on whole-body health, incorporating things like yoga and pre-hab. Yay, I made some progress this month! I need to work on the non-workout things like going to bed at a decent hour and having actual downtime, but that is in progress, too.

Keep a healthy work-life-training-family-friends-other balance. I did spend some quality time with friends and family in June.

Have fun. I did some of that, too. My two outdoor rides were a big highlight. Basically, whenever I could enjoy time outdoors, I did.

If I can do this all over again for July, plus throw in a swim or two, I will be ecstatic. So that’s my official goal for July: Have as good a month as June was.




No comments:

Post a Comment