Monday, July 23, 2018

Week in review July 16-22: A couple of pleasant surprises

Not bad overall!
First of all, apologies for not writing more frequently. I am trying to negotiate some changes in my life, big and small, and that is taking up a lot of my free time. I have been trying to check in mid-week when I have something notable to share, but lately my life has been work, a little training, a little cooking and maybe housework and bill paying, bed, repeat. Nothing exciting.

But anyway. I wasn’t expecting big things for last week week so I was pleased to add up my training and see, first of all, that I had broken 10 hours. I haven’t done that in a while. I have consistently done some kind of movement, whether it’s a full day of training or a quick yoga session when I can snatch 15 minutes, every day since July 3. It all adds up.

That consistency and a rainy Saturday helped me log a few extra hours. Since I was homebound anyway, I did some extra time on the bike trainer and did a longer lifting session followed by my PT that day. I managed to do at least one thing every day and my totals showed it:

Bike: Three times, all the trainer, for 31.75 fake trainer miles in a little longer than 3 hours. Nothing special here: Two shorter mid-week rides and one longer weekend ride. I caught up on my trash TV and my magazine reading.

Weights: Twice, one barre class and one heavy/body at-home lifting session, for about 2:15. I’m on track to go to barre once a week to use up my 10 class/2 month deal and am trying to alternate a video or a heavy session in the other half of the week.

Another pleasant surprise: It’s been a long-time goal of mine to do a hanging pullup. I can do a standing pullup, and I can do a hanging chinup, but never a hanging pullup… until Saturday. Over the course of three sets of attempts, I did maybe 4 of 5 total. Yay! I haven’t tried in several weeks so I was pretty shocked when my chin made it up and over the bar.

PT/Rehab: Three sessions for about 2 hours total. Eh, not great, but three is still more than I have been doing. In a perfect world I would have time to do these every day, but the fact is I prioritize my other workouts and try to squeeze my PT homework in afterward when I can.

Run/Walk: Twice, both on the road, for 6.9 miles in about 1.5 hours. Slow and steady wogs here, although I bumped up my running intervals to 4:30/2:00 and have had only the slightest knee discomfort.

Swim: One drill session in the pool for 2000 meters in about 1:10. Yes, this is super slow, but all drills. I am doing what I feel comfortable with so I can keep rebuilding my comfort in the pool.

Total: 11 sessions in just longer than 10 hours.

While I was in the midst of the week, it didn’t feel like anything special. In fact, I was lamenting not doing another run, more PT, and any yoga. But, if nothing else, I am stubborn. I am optimistic this consistency will do me well in the long run as I build back my fitness and continue recovering from my health issues, and of course if I decide to do a fall event! We’ll see…..




1 comment: