Monday, August 7, 2017

Week in review July 31-August 6: All I do is run and go out of town

All I did this past week.
It was a very low-volume week last week, partly because I was stressed and feeling blah and partly because I was out of town for most of the weekend. The stress and blah I might have been able to prepare for a bit better, and in retrospect I should have at least done a short yoga workout here or there.

I didn’t want to run Monday since I’d already hit 100 miles for the month and figured I could use the rest. I had good intentions to go to the pool, but I was soooo tired and not feeling great, so I skipped and worked in the garden instead. I know, I know. Tuesday’s run was really hard and I think I let myself get too dehydrated. So that was two feeling crappy days in a row, but at least I ran one of them.

Wednesday was another blah day so I spent most of the evening in the kitchen. But, I made a tomato sauce mid-week, so not all was lost. (In fact, looking back, the only times we ate out all week were when we were on the road. So, although training may have taken a back seat, healthy eating was still on point.)

Thursday I had just about HAD IT with work stress and took off on the running trail like a bat out of hell. I was also trying to outrun a storm, which, um, I didn’t. I ended up racing the last two miles back to the car among thunder!!! I thought it would have been a poetic ending to a crappy day had I been struck by lightning. I guess I can call it was a success, since I wasn’t. Friday’s run included a few times up and down the sledding hill, aka Mt. Everest, which I talked about the other day. This was so hard I couldn’t really do it, and I loved it. That means I have a lot of room for improvement.

But that’s all I was able to squeeze in. To get the dogs where they needed to be, pick up my mom, and make it in time for the family wedding I attended, I needed to leave early enough Saturday that I didn’t have time to train before breakfast and my morning errands. I already got up way too early for a Saturday; I was not excited about getting up at 6 a.m. for a trainer ride. And I already went to bed way too late Sunday; no way I was squeezing in anything else.

What I did get in:

Run: Three times, all on the road, for 19.25 miles in a hair longer than 3 hours.

The good news is the runs felt good and I had some rest and relaxation time, which doesn’t always happen. I got to see my mom’s entire side of the family and spend time with my dad’s mom, which was fun. The wedding ended up being an awesome time. There was one continuous Euchre game going for 6 hours, I took so many funny pics and videos, and my face and throat hurt by the end of the night from laughing. It was a weekend that was good for the soul if not for the training volume.

I can’t dwell on the low-volume weeks. On to the next one.



No comments:

Post a Comment