Sunday, August 20, 2017

A non-triathloning triathlete

Guys, I'm sad.

Part of it is because of Facebook memories. All summer long, I've been getting reminders of memory after memory of this or that fun race I did over the years. My first tri, my first age group award, etc.
My award shelf. It's been collecting dust lately.
And today is/was Michigan Titanium. It was the first and so far only 70.3 I completed in 2014. I tried again in 2015 and got pulled from the bike course with three miles to go because of lightning.
Practice swim before Michigan Titanium in 2014. A long, long time ago.
That was the last multi-sport race I did. Some health problems set me back a bit, my work schedule changed a bit, and the rest is a big fat "it's not a priority right now."

Part of the reason I'm sad is FOMO, fear of missing out. My friends and people I follow on social media are out riding, swimming, running and doing fun things. I'm so jealous!

The other part of the reason I'm sad is because I feel I've fallen pretty far off the triathlon wagon. I'm not biking anything longer than 2 hours or so lately, and I can literally count on one hand the number of times I've swum this year. I think back to what I was capable of 3 years ago, and I couldn't hold a candle to it today.

I tell myself that people leave and come back to the sport all the time, for lots of reasons. Women I know take a few years off to have babies and eventually find their way back to racing.

I also remind myself that when I first started out, I wasn't in as good of shape as I am now. If/when I do build back up, hopefully my fitness curve won't be as steep. I've had to build running back up from zero twice now, and both times I came back just as strong.

But still. It doesn't stop the frustration I feel NOW. I want to be out there swimming, riding, and running. I want to be pursuing bigger goals. I want to go faster and longer. I want to get better.

I don't know that there is an answer except keep doing what I can, when I can, and make a point to enjoy it.




No comments:

Post a Comment