Monday, August 14, 2017

Week in review August 6-13: Come hell or high water, I WILL run on Sunday!

It was an … interesting week last week. I started off strong, with a track workout Monday that ended up being my speediest run in the past year, and a nice and easy run on Tuesday. I ended up having to run errands for part of the evening Wednesday, so I made the day a mid-week food prep day instead. (Healthy eating is a LOT of work.)

Thursday I had the most blah run in a while, but somehow managed the exact same pace as Tuesday while feeling dehydrated and like my legs were 100 pounds each. I had good intentions for a run Friday, but a work emergency popped up, and by the time I made it out the door I was in ZERO mood to run. When I walked into the kitchen, my husband had already poured a glass of wine and opened up a bag of chips for me. Ha! Now that’s true love. I didn’t do anything more strenuous than catch up on House of Cards that night.
Yes.
Although I’m not training for anything, I still made it out to ride my bike on Saturday. My Garmin has been moody lately, and it was super overcast, so I kept logging splits at 50-60 miles per hour and registered a max speed of 104 mph. Amazing! Someone call Kona for me! After I did the math and compared to Strava (#stravaoritdidnthappen) it turned out to be a very average yet enjoyable pace. I was able to follow up with most of my heavy/body weight lifting routine before my parents came into town for a Tigers game, where we got to see an amazing comeback.

BUT, because we were out late-ish Saturday, I didn’t get out of bed as early as I wanted on Sunday, and my whole day felt a few hours behind. We skipped our usual Sunday afternoon coffee date because neither of us has been sleeping well as a result, which saved some time, but what I thought would be a quick hour trip the garden turned into a three-hour tomato pruning extravaganza. (Those side shoots will be the death of me.) I was halfway through my food prep routine and feeling sorry for myself, when I realized if I left for a run RIGHT NOW I could do a quick lap around the neighborhood and be in a much better mental place as a result. I had wanted to do 9.75 to hit 30 for the week, but I decided 4.75 to hit 25 was good enough. And, I had JUST enough time to do lunges, squats and abs that I didn’t have time to do Saturday.

I saw a meme the other day that said “I don’t need a motivational quote, I need to go run.” I can’t find what happened to it so I made my own. That was exactly how I felt yesterday: I don’t care what I have to do to get this run in, but it will get done.
Again, yes.
Last week by the numbers:

Run: Four times, three on the road and one mostly on the track, for 25 miles in a bit less than 4 hours.

Bike: Once outside for 35 miles in a bit longer than 2 hours.

Weights: One heavy/bodyweight session in two parts in a bit longer than an hour.

Total: Seven sessions in a bit longer than 7 hours. With the way this week went, I’m happy with an average of an hour a day.


There are still a lot of areas I feel I’m slacking on, but at least I’m on track to hit 100 running miles for another month. Time to launch that momentum into another week.




2 comments:

  1. Tell us what you prep in advance! I always have a plan for dinner and breakfast is usually oatmeal but lunches are my weak point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy and wash A LOT of lettuce to have grilled chicken salads for lunch almost every day. But I am boring and can eat the same exact thing for breakfast and lunch almost every day. XD I should write about it!

      Delete