Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Week in review June 6-12: A double dose of the basics

Nothing spectacular.
Whew! Sorry I’m late. I’ve had a busy few days of running errands, prepping food for the week, and, if we’re being honest, catching up on the last few episodes of Silicon Valley.

Last week was a “Just the facts, ma’am” kind of week. I ended up taking two days completely off training, but managed to get in two each of swim, bike and run.

My parents were out of town last week and we dog-sat their Shih Tzu, so I lost an evening to dog shuttling and going out to dinner as a pre-emptive “thank you” from them, as is our routine when we are dog-sitting for each other. On the other dog shuttling night, I talked them into a later dinner so I could get in a swim first. No shame!

I did double up one day and could only fit in a very quick, very late run another day, but I made it work. I spent most of the day Sunday volunteering for a triathlon and while I was too tired to do my own swim and/or run afterward, I don’t regret the great experience.

It broke down to:

Swim: Twice, both in the pool, for 6400 meters total in about 2.75 hours. I am definitely feeling the effects of blowing off my swim for most of May, but I am back in the water and trying to get the work done.

Bike: Twice, one quick ride on the trainer and one 32.75-mile ride on the road, for a total of about 2.75 hours in the saddle. I actually spend only 50 more seconds in the saddle than I did in the pool. Since my next race is (likely) going to be swim/run, I de-prioritized the bike.

Run: Twice, both on the road, for 7 miles in just longer than an hour. This included a “gr8” run after work and a quick 2-miler with my dog at the end of a long day.

Total: Six sessions in about 6 hours, 39 minutes.

So, it was nothing spectacular, and there was nothing to supplement swim-bike-run, but the essentials were there. Like every other week of my life, I wish I had more hours in the day, but I made the most of what I had. And I had some enjoyable workouts, which makes it at least a partial success.

No comments:

Post a Comment