Friday, June 24, 2016

Mid-week check-in: Playing hooky

I haven’t been doing great for workouts so far this week. I’ve had a bunch of things scheduled or spontaneously occur during the evenings that have put a damper on my training.

Monday and Tuesday were actually good days. I got on the trainer for a while and lifted some upper-body weights Monday, and Tuesday I got in the pool. My swim wasn’t great, and I’m blaming pull-ups the day before for making my arms sore. But it was still a nice evening and an enjoyable swim.

It was a nice night and we ended up winning.
Wednesday I knew my cousin and uncle would be in town for her student orientation (the same cousin and uncle that have been here a few times earlier this year), and they wanted to go to a Tigers game afterward. I knew I wouldn’t get to run in the evening so I got myself out of bed at 5 a.m. for a nice sunrise run. I haven’t done one of those in a while, and I enjoyed the stillness and birds chirping. I also knew we would be out late Wednesday (it was an evening game) so I didn’t plan on anything Thursday morning.

Cinnamon roasted almonds are my ballpark treat.
Yesterday, Thursday, I got to leave work a few hours early so I got a much-needed haircut. I was so tired I was dozing off during my blowout – I am trying to go a bit easier on my late-morning coffee and I skipped yesterday – and I actually took a 20-30 minute nap with the mutts when I got home. I was debating going for a swim or getting on the trainer and ruining my salon hair, when my husband called to say friends wanted to go out for Mexican food. The service sucked and we were there way longer than we wanted, so I only had time to prep today’s lunch and pack tonight’s swim bag before bed, and even then I was pushing it with a late bedtime.

The beans and bacon were good, but not worth the wait.
But I was determined to make it work on less-than-ideal sleep: I had my alarm set for 5 a.m. to get up and run again before work. But but, I started waking up every 5-10 minutes at about 4 a.m., and I was still exhausted, so I resigned myself to the fact that a morning run wasn’t happening and re-set my alarm for later. I kept waking up to birds chirping and cars driving by, and I remember lying in bed and thinking, Why are the birds so loud? When I finally got out of bed I saw my husband had left a living room window open, hence the loud birds. But when he got up I found out he’d opened the window because he’d felt sick, so I couldn’t even be mad at him.

Looking back, I think it was hilarious that I was SO ANNOYED with the loud birds this morning, when I had just enjoyed their chirping on a sunrise run the other day. I guess it makes sense to my tired mind that birds can only chirp when I am already awake.

I do have plans for the weekend but I think I can squeeze in a few quality workouts. I have my swim bag packed and ready to go for tonight, and I want to hit the lake again this weekend. I want to ride my bike again tomorrow, but that’s not my top priority. And I’m going to try, REALLY try, to get up early either tomorrow or Sunday for a long run. “Early” on the weekends isn’t as “early” as during the week so I know I can do it, as long as I can get to bed at a decent hour.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment