Thursday, October 1, 2015

September in review: My running went completely to you-know-what

It started off so well.
I didn't even want to do this review because I am so angry, sad and frustrated with how the month shook out. Worst of all, I didn't hit 100 running miles for the month, for the first time in almost a year. My goal of 1,500 miles in '15 is pretty much out the window as well.
Sigh.
After I threw out my SI joint in August, I was coming back in September much more diligent about stretching, with a new pair of shoes on my feet, and feeling a million times better. I'm not sure if I had altered my stride too much, or if I just jumped back into it too quickly, but after a great speed run and a reassuring 16-miler, my IT band suddenly stopped cooperating.

I cut short a 12-miler, took most of a week off, ran an uneventful 3-miler, and had to cut short what was to be my last LONG long run. Not surprisingly, all of that skipped running led to my lowest-mileage month in nearly a year.

September by the numbers:

Run: 79.75 miles over 12 runs, in just less than 13 hours. I had a good first half of the month and everything just kind of fell apart by the end.

Yoga: Lots of yoga to re-align my SI joint, about 4.5 hours. It is feeling MUCH better. I need to make this a non-negotiable part of the pre-hab rotation.

Weights: I actually lifted weights twice this month, once with a video and once on my own, for just longer than 2 hours total.

Pre-hab: Finally, I am trying to get into a pre-hab routine. I spent about 2 hours over 5 sessions doing strengthening exercises, foam rolling, etc.

Now the plan is to stretch/pre-hab/rest, and hope for the best. (I'm so funny.) I still have no idea what will happen on marathon day in 2.5 weeks. I have massage therapy scheduled for Saturday, so I'm hopeful that will help, too. I just want to get back into my running shoes as quickly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment