Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Just keep sleeping... er, swimming

Confession time: I have yet to make it to the pool this week. I've already skipped two of my three planned swims. Ugh.

Monday morning I was still recovering from being ill Sunday night. Last night we went out to celebrate my brother-in-law's 25th birthday and got home later than I would have liked. I had good intentions to get up early and hit the pool, but when I woke up a few minutes before my alarm I knew that wasn't going to happen. When my husband's alarm woke me again from a sound sleep two hours later, I knew I had made the right call.

I try not to beat myself up when stuff like this happens. My rational side says I'm a professional trying to fit my triathlon hobby into my extra time, not the other way around. I have family and other personal obligations. I'm not going to make every workout. And, let's be honest, I'm no fun to be around when I'm short on sleep.

The perfectionist side of me thinks I'm never going to improve if I keep slacking. I should have known better than to go out to celebrate on a Tuesday night. I should have sucked it up and gone to the pool anyway, no matter how tired I was. Am I committed to becoming a better swimmer or not?

On the plus side, I did squeeze in a quick run before we left for dinner yesterday. And if I needed extra motivation to get to the pool Friday morning -- this is it!

No comments:

Post a Comment