Sunday, June 3, 2018

May in review: Vacation meant LOTS of hiking

I was afraid that going on vacation for a chunk of May would really limit the amount of training I would be able to do. Yes, I didn't get in as much running and biking as I would have liked as a result, but my sister-in-law and her husband are big into hiking around California. So, not only did I get in a good 8 hours of hiking over the month, I got to experience vistas like this:
Point Reyes National Seashore, California.
(When I say "hiking," I mean moderately challenging trails that can be done in tennis shoes. They were all definitely workouts, but we weren't summiting Mt. Katahdin. I didn't want to do anything that required bringing my actual hiking boots in my already overweight suitcase.)

Of course, the biggest success of the month was getting cleared to return to a run/walk program. I ran a few times at a walk warmup / 2:00 running, 3:00 walking x 4 / walk cool down, and bumped it up to 3:00 running / 2:00 walking once at the end of the month. Although I had a few twinges in my knee here and there, I was able to run/walk six times, all without any actual pain.

I also did a bunch of biking on the trainer and a whole lot of PT and rehab. I didn't make it to the pool (more on that later) or do any yoga, sadly.
May wan't too bad.
By the numbers, it was:

Other: Three long hikes and one boxing session for about 8 hours, 50 minutes. 8 hours of that was hiking three times along three beautiful trails in California (Lake Tahoe twice, Point Reyes once), for about 18 miles total.

PT/rehab: Ten sessions for about 7:15 total this included two clinic PT sessions and eight homework sessions. I need to do this a little more regularly than every third day, but I didn't do any on vacation and that set me back.

Run/walk: Six times, four on the road and two on both road and dirt trail, for 17.99 miles (seriously?) in about 4:45. Hooray!!!

Bike: Five trainer sessions of 5 "miles" each, for almost 3 hours total.

Weights: Four sessions for about 2:10 total. This included one barre class and two rounds of heavy/body weights, one split up into two.

Total: 29 workouts in almost 26 hours. The long hikes definitely skewed this a bit, but it still works out to almost one workout per day so I'm not complaining!

Let's also take a look back at my loose goals for 2018 and how they looked for May:

Work through my health issues and re-start a training schedule that gets me back to racing. Still in progress. I have a fun 5K in mind for next month. Unfortunately another health issue seems to have popped up, but I am hoping to work through that one, too.

Run some cool places, maybe another marathon. YES! I got to experience a couple nice marsh runs in California.
Like this beautiful California marsh trail!
Work on whole-body health, incorporating things like yoga and pre-hab. PT/rehab/pre-hab is getting there. Yoga less so.

Keep a healthy work-life-training-family-friends-other balance. I think going on vacation for a good chunk of the month counts! I also got some additional hanging-out-with-friends time in.

Have fun. There was definitely a lot of fun to be had this month.

Knock on wood, but June seems to be off to a good start. Here's hoping I can build on the successes of May and keep the momentum going for another month.




No comments:

Post a Comment