Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Week in review May 28-June 3: A little bit of a lot

Not a bad variety of activity.
I had a super busy day yesterday with an all-day work event and trying to cram too much stuff into the evening (although I did make it out to the garden for the first time this season, which was wonderful), so writing a recap of last week was an afterthought. Whoops!

The short version is I had a decent week and did a lot of stuff, although not too much of any one thing. I played hooky one day to have a nice mid-week dinner with my husband, but I did a bit extra on Memorial Day, which I had off work. It ended up being a nice balance.

We also had good weather most of the week, and although I stuck to the treadmill on Friday since it was threatening rain, I got my first outdoor ride of the season done, too. Hooray!

The week worked out to be:

PT/Rehab: Four sessions, one in the clinic with the therapist and four more homework sessions, for about 3 hours total. I was unofficially discharged from PT after this last session, UNOFFICIALLY, which is why I’m not treating it as a bigger deal. There’s really not much else I can learn from PT at this point. I have been going faithfully, doing at least a dozen exercises and spending almost two hours there each time, while also doing my homework at least a few times a week, for five months.

If this doesn’t help, we start talking chicken cartilage injections and maybe surgery WAY down the line. For now I need to be faithful with my almost-daily at-home rehab program. One of my goals this week is to organize my huge packet of homework exercises into what I should be doing daily, what I should be doing a few times per week, and what I can add back into my regular weights routine.

Run/walk: Three times, twice on the road and once on the treadmill, for 9.18 miles in about 2:25. I keep getting these weird mileage totals because I am recording three separate workouts of a walk, run/walk intervals, and another walk on my Garmin and I almost never remember the totals so I can end on a round number. My goal for this week is to hit 10 miles and continue with the 3:00 run/2:00 walk for 4 run intervals until I have zero knee pain. I am still getting the odd twinge and I don’t want to overdo it.

Bike: Twice, once on the trainer and once OUTSIDE, for 5 trainer miles and 13 road miles in about 1:33. I rode on the road for less than an hour, and probably spent more time driving and getting ready to ride than I did actually riding, but it was a beautiful day and I was thrilled to be out for an easy spin.

Weights: Twice, my heavy/body routine minus squats and lunges in two sessions for about 35 minutes total. I ran out of time Tuesday and saved abs for later in the week. As I mentioned earlier, now that I’m unofficially done with PT I’ll start working lunges and squats back into my weights routine rather than at the clinic.

Yoga: I did squeeze in 20 minutes of pigeons, bends, and twists while catching up on Westworld. Not ideal but it was something and it was much needed.

Total:
12 sessions in just shy of 8 hours. Hey, I’ll take an average of more than hour per day.

Of course I would like hours and hours of free time, and lots and lots of cartilage, to train whenever I want. But I can't complain. Fingers crossed that this week will be just as good.




No comments:

Post a Comment