Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Health goals check-in: OR, The Caffeine Situation


Sunday morning was quiet and leisurely, just the way I like it, but I only had a cup and a half or so of coffee with breakfast. I didn’t think much of it until I needed to take a 20-minute nap in the afternoon before I started my food prep and treadmill run. “Tee hee, I wonder if that was because I didn’t have that much coffee this morning?” I joked.

I felt better afterward and my run was fine. I was up a bit later than I would have liked finishing up in the kitchen and getting ready for work, but I didn’t get to bed TOO much later than I usually do. I was woken up at about 4 a.m. by a pounding headache. “OH NOOOO,” was all I could think. This was no longer a “tee hee” situation.

I tried to get up and get ready for work. I raced to the bathroom thinking I was going to throw up. I crawled back to bed. My crazy dog jumped up in bed with me to play and I had to push her away because petting her hurt my head. Everything hurt my head. Texting my boss to say I wasn’t getting out of bed hurt my head. I made my husband take the dogs out and make some coffee. I sipped as much as I could without barfing and tried to sleep it off.

By 9 a.m. I was starting to feel more normal and could tolerate things like moving and sunlight. I made another half pot of coffee. “I think this is a sign,” I said to myself.

So, starting today, I’m trying out a new coffee routine that caffeinates me a little less. Instead of taking with me to work a full travel mug, I’ll have one small cup as I eat breakfast. After I got to work today, I made myself drink one 24-oz cup of water (I have several of these and I love them) before making myself one 10-oz coffee (per my Keurig), which I was done with by 10:30 a.m. or so. And that is going to have to be it for the day.
Pre-work coffee....
and at-work coffee.
I don’t know that I could ever quit coffee completely. I love the taste of good coffee and I don’t think I could ever give up my French press. But I don’t want to be getting rebound migraines, either. I guess finding that happy medium will be part of my never-ending journey toward better health.

And that means I have another goal to add to my Be Less of a Fatass goals, which I haven't checked in on here a while. I keep them in a Notes file on my phone, so they are ever-evolving and sometimes vary from week to week, but generally:

- No potato chips: This one was a fail as of last night. I used being sick earlier in the day as an excuse. Before yesterday, though, I had avoided chips for at least a few weeks.

- Build to 10 miles per week run/walk: I’ve hit 9+ miles a couple of times. Increasing my run interval by 30 seconds or 1 minute these next few weeks should do the trick.

- Use up my barre classes before they expire: haha. I have until the end of the month to go twice. I’m going to try for tomorrow or Thursday.

- Organize PT exercises: Right now all my PT homework is a half-shredded photocopied packet with multiple highlighter colors, stars, and underlines. I’d like to organize these into “every time” and “every other time” exercises.

- Also – Rehab knee: Working on this, too. Run intervals are going well.

- Yogurt salad dressing: Success! I have started using a homemade plain coconut milk yogurt and herb dressing instead of olive oil.

- Yoga once per week: Working on this.

- Drink all the water I bring to work: I almost always drink my Tervis tumbler plus another large water bottle I bring with me.

- Fish for dinner twice per week: This has been a success almost every week.

- Three hanging chin-ups in a row, one full hanging pullup: I am so freaking close to one full hanging pullup.

- Weigh in lower than my lowest weight two years ago: Working on this.

- Back to swimming: This one is also a work in progress. I’m trying to figure out issues that might be breathing or anxiety related, and would like to order more swim tools to make getting to the pool less of a drudgery. More on this later.

So, that’s where I’m at now. Still working on making small healthy changes, still working toward doing a little better each day health-wise, and making bigger adjustments as I have to. BLOAF will probably never be “finished,” but I can always improve.



No comments:

Post a Comment