Monday, April 9, 2018

Week in review April 2-8: Knee pain and general blah-ness

Meh.
It was another blah week last week. My schedule was screwed up because of Easter; I did all my grocery shopping and food prep Monday. My knee was bothering me and I was just DONE with everything by Friday so I ate chips and drank wine instead of working out. By Sunday I was in a decent amount of pain again.

On the plus side, I did get in more than 5 hours of training only doing activity three days of the week: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I'm on a quad-free PT homework schedule for a while (quad exercises seem to irritate my patella) but I didn't do nearly enough overall. Biking at a low resistance seemed to be OK, until it suddenly started bothering me again.

Standing on my feet doing food prep irritates my knee. Walking hurts sometimes. I think it's time to have a hard talk with my therapist tomorrow and see if this is really worth my time and enormous amount of money I'm shelling out every week (thanks, insurance barely covering anything). I'm not crazy about chicken cartilage injections and I REALLY don't want surgery for an arthroscopic debridement. Maybe I'm just being impatient. I know I will be heartbroken if I'm told I can't run again.

By the numbers, it was:

Bike: Twice, both on the trainer, for 27 fake trainer miles in about 2.5 hours. This was all low resistance, which in theory shouldn't brother my knee, but on Sunday it was in a decent amount of pain.

PT/rehab: Three times, one in-person clinic visit and two homework sessions, for about 2 hours. Not nearly enough.

Weights: One body/heavy weight session of upper and abs for about 30 minutes. This was the bright spot of my training week, as I did a couple extra standing pull-ups and chin-ups and a couple extra shoulder presses.

Total: Six sessions for a bit longer than 5 hours.

My schedule is weird this week so I'm going to physical therapy tomorrow instead of later in the week. We'll see what my therapist has to say, but I'm not banking on good news.




No comments:

Post a Comment