Monday, December 11, 2017

Week in non-review Dec. 4-10: Another knee update (because nothing else is happening)

Rub it in, why don't cha, Daily Mile.
I don’t have any good news to report. I had a decent easy spin and weights session a week ago Saturday, but my knee hasn’t felt any better. It still pinches when I walk, I can feel it catching when I extend my leg all the way, and sometimes it decides it doesn’t want to bear any weight. I have been super careful not to bend it much more than 90 degrees for almost the last month, when it started causing me real pain and discomfort.

I hurt it again on Tuesday (caught my foot and I felt something catch and pull in the knee joint) and I could barely walk on Wednesday, so I took that as a sign that I need to keep with the resting and doing nothing. I would go to the pool but 1. Ugh and 2. I am not sure I could walk all the way to the gym from my car and/or the train stop. On the plus side I am almost done with my big crochet Christmas project and caught up on Stranger Things 2.

I did have my MRI on Saturday and it was an experience. I called the hospital closest to my office for convenience, but their earliest opening was a Saturday, which made it even more convenient! (And I didn’t mind driving past my office on a Saturday since I combined the trip with Christmas shopping with my mom.) After getting checked in and filling out all the forms, I changed into comfy scrubs and was led into the MRI room. I was a bit nervous when I saw the big tube, but I was going in feet first and the other end was open, anyway.

I had to lie still for about 20-25 minutes, which is a lot harder than it sounds. My arms were falling asleep by the end. They played Pandora for me on these spiffy headphones, but that wasn’t enough to drown out the loud magnetic noises. I was surprised how LOUD it was! Lots of wub-wub-wub noises in different frequencies. It was painless except for my leg being a little tight by the end from not moving. The staff was super nice and I got my CD of images and was on my way shortly afterward.

I’ve looked at the images, but I have no idea what any of them mean. I can see my ligaments and bones, and my leg muscles look pretty good if I do say so myself. I was furiously Google image searching “torn meniscus MRI” and comparing it to my own images, and there is a shadow that KIND OF looks like it could be a tear, but I have no idea. The radiologist’s report should be on its way to my orthopedist and we’ll discuss that and the images at my follow up this Thursday.

I realize that logically, things are actually moving pretty speedily for me but I WANT ANSWERS NOW. I want to know what is going on. I want to know when I can expect to stop feeling pain and start running again. I feel like my life is on hold and I want to know how long this will last. I want to move and sweat and feel like myself again.




What does this mean? Indeed.


4 comments:

  1. Totally understand your impatience! Your captions did make me giggle a little though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean "white sticky-outy thing" isn't a medical term? ;)

      Delete
    2. Just seen your update on ST. Yay for no surgery. Sending you patience to see you through the physiotherapy!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, I will need it! lol

      Delete