Sunday, December 31, 2017

December and 2017 wrap-up

Happy New Year! It feels like -2 F outside (-19 C) so my husband and I decided to be super lame and stay in tonight. We'll probably go to bed at 12:01 a.m., which is fine by me. It'll be more likely that I'll get up early-ish and get stuff done tomorrow morning.

Anyway. I was a bit depressed that my year ended on a down note, but I did run the third-highest annual mileage in my life, run a weekend four-race challenge, run some fun 5Ks, and ride my bike outside. The first 10 months of 2017 weren't too shabby.

First, December:

I rode my bike 7 times on the trainer, lifted weights 5 times, swam once, and did yoga once. Not terrible considering I am dealing with a chondral fissure and still figuring out which workouts hurt and which workouts don't.

Now, 2017:
2017 running.
I ran 1,026.83 miles in 153 runs. The good news: It's an increase from last year. It's only the fourth time in my life I've broken 1,000 for the year. It's the only year I've done so without running a marathon or two. I ran eight 100+ mile months. The year included a quadruple race weekend of 30+ miles (part 1part 2) and two fun 5Ks (Pure Detroit 5KDetroit Free Press Marathon 5K).

2017 riding.
I rode my bike 53 times for 890 total miles, 458 road miles (14 outdoor rides). This is a slight decrease from last year, but more than twice as many road rides as I did in 2016. Plus, I signed up for Trainer Road this year and started getting into the FTP, cadence, and watts weeds. 53 rides is still an average of a ride a week, which I guess isn't too terrible. I didn't do any riding to kick off the year because I was focused on training for my quadruple running race weekend.

I lifted weights 53 times which is ONE LESS than last year. Wow! At least I'm consistent. Again, a once a week average isn't terrible.

I did yoga 28 times, which again is ONE LESS (!) than last year. This should be about double, but at least I am doing something.
2017 swimming (ugh).
I swam 7 times and just more than 1/10 of the yardage (meterage?) I did last year. This is what I'm most disappointed in. I focused on running for the first few months of the year, sure, but swimming anxiety got the best of me once or twice and then I just couldn't muster up the motivation to get to the pool. I enjoy swimming once I get to the pool, so it's just making the time and making myself go.

I only did pre-hab 6 times this year which more than likely contributed to the mess I'm in with my knee. I did go to a runners' workshop and learn a bunch of moves, and am starting physical therapy Tuesday. If I want to run again, I need to make this a priority for 2018.

Overall, I logged 300 sessions exactly. (I added them up an hour ago to find 299, so I did a yoga session. I needed it, anyway!) I did 341 last year; swimming was the difference, pretty much.

Still, my total time spent training was more than 308 hours for 2017. 308 hours! That's a part-time job! Of course I wish I had done more, but that is still nothing to sneeze at.

I don't know yet if I'm going to set concrete goals for 2018. Get back to running which probably includes pre-hab more, bike more, swim more, lift more, yoga more. What else is there?

I hope your 2018 is off to a great start!



2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a pretty solid year! You definitely kept active, hit some great numbers, and got some good variety in. I know it didn't end how you'd like, so hopefully PT will go well and you can get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, the first 10 months were good. =) I'm hoping to get back on track soon.

      Delete