Friday, October 6, 2017

September in review and looking ahead to October

I’m late for a September review for an embarrassing reason: I can’t add.

When I added up my yearly totals by sport, I got a completely different number than when I added up the overall totals by month. I’m pretty neurotic about my number totals so while I had psyched myself up to let go a few minutes’ discrepancy, an hour and a half was way too much to tolerate!

I’m happy to report the problem seemed to be an accounting error between the months of July and August. So, luckily, I didn’t even have to go that far back to find the problem. Whew! I’m a writer by trade and I’ll stick to my words, thanks.

Anyway. Although I didn’t make my running goal of hitting 100 miles, I was pleasantly surprised with some of my other numbers when totaling up September. I only biked seven times in September, but that was still better than the four times in August. I also did a bit more weightlifting.

In all, it was about an hour and a half more total time training in the same number of overall sessions, compared to last month. It broke down to 14 times and about 13.25 hours running, seven times and about 10.5 hours biking, five times and about 4.5 hours weight training, and one 15-minute yoga session.
Almost half my training time in October was spent running.
My other goals included:

Lift twice per week most weeks: This was closer to once per week.

Bike outside at least three times: DONE! I rode outside three of September’s five Saturdays.

Use my new swim toys to get comfortable in the pool again: Nope. I didn’t go to the pool at all in September.

Actually do yoga: Just that one session, sadly.

Actually do glutes/core/prehab: Nope.

PR my 5K: I didn’t run any 5Ks this month. I was looking at one at the end of the month but it was canceled.

Considering I lost almost a full week from the Cold of Death, I’m satisfied with how the month shook out. I also got to spend time with friends, cook lots of good food, see cousins that were visiting from out of state, hang out by the pool, and do some other fun stuff. When I have a less-than-ideal month I have to remind myself that training is a hobby and a privilege. Any day I can move my body is a good day!

For October, not only do I want to work on the goals I didn’t hit from last month, if all goes to plan I’ll also pass 1,000 running miles for the year during this month. I’ve only done that three times since I started tracking my running in 2007; my all-time record is 1,313 in 2013, the only calendar year I’ve done two marathons. I’m thinking about what could be a fun yet attainable goal for the year: 1,234, maybe? Or I could stop running at the end of the month at 1,017 in ’17. Haha, yeah right.

I hope your September was great and your October is off to a good start.




No comments:

Post a Comment